MacBook Startup Problems - HD

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Macbook 13" OS X(White) that I bought 2 years ago that isn't starting up properly anymore. The problem occurred after I had it running unplugged until I thought it went into hibernation mode. I didn't charge it right away and a day later I tried to turn it on, but the screen will stay on the grey screen with the apple logo and the endless spinning icon below it. I've done some research since then and I'm taking an educated guess in saying I think it is a hard drive issue. I've noticed that the area where the screen and keboard meet (in between the fans) are warmer than usual.
I pressed/held Cmd - V and at first it stopped at "The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device."
I did it a second time and instead it stopped at a shorter line saying "Please convert the following to lunchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist".
The line before that says "no plist was returned for: /System/Library/LaunchDaemon/com.apple.auditd.plist".

*I would also like to note that there is a small sound made(inside the mac, probably the hd) that usually means the mac is done loading and goes on to the login screen, but as the wheel keeps spinning then it sounds like the hard drive stops spinning and my mac goes near silent. Same thing happened to my Acer, which is why I got a Mac, but it may be due to overheating issues?

I was in my library folder before this incident and was deleting some stuff, but I remembered it was in Cache. Although I do remember deleting something related to "Daemons" because I remember downloading something with the same name, yet it was related to a game. I'm not sure if doing this had anything to do with it, but I saw that "LaunchDaemons during the Cmd - V run.

So I hope this is enough information at the moment for any kind of help. I do have all the CDs that came with my Macbook, but how do I boot with them? Will my mac receive the disk while it is off or do I have to do it as it turns on or during the grey/apple/spinning wheel screen?

Edit: Okay, I've tried booting into safe mode, but the grey bar disappears 1/4th the way. So I dod the disk utility and did a disk repair. It said that it was fine, but it was stuck at updating boot support partitions w/o a progress and waited but nothing happened. I restarted and did the PRAM method, but still no fix.

Reaction score
MacBook Startup Error

Hello,

I have the exact same computer and the exact same problem as the user below. Can someone please provide guidance as to how to fix the issue?

Thanks,

Molly

Hello,

I have a Macbook 13" OS X(White) that I bought 2 years ago that isn't starting up properly anymore. The problem occurred after I had it running unplugged until I thought it went into hibernation mode. I didn't charge it right away and a day later I tried to turn it on, but the screen will stay on the grey screen with the apple logo and the endless spinning icon below it. I've done some research since then and I'm taking an educated guess in saying I think it is a hard drive issue. I've noticed that the area where the screen and keboard meet (in between the fans) are warmer than usual.
I pressed/held Cmd - V and at first it stopped at "The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device."
I did it a second time and instead it stopped at a shorter line saying "Please convert the following to lunchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist".
The line before that says "no plist was returned for: /System/Library/LaunchDaemon/com.apple.auditd.plist".

*I would also like to note that there is a small sound made(inside the mac, probably the hd) that usually means the mac is done loading and goes on to the login screen, but as the wheel keeps spinning then it sounds like the hard drive stops spinning and my mac goes near silent. Same thing happened to my Acer, which is why I got a Mac, but it may be due to overheating issues?

I was in my library folder before this incident and was deleting some stuff, but I remembered it was in Cache. Although I do remember deleting something related to "Daemons" because I remember downloading something with the same name, yet it was related to a game. I'm not sure if doing this had anything to do with it, but I saw that "LaunchDaemons during the Cmd - V run.

So I hope this is enough information at the moment for any kind of help. I do have all the CDs that came with my Macbook, but how do I boot with them? Will my mac receive the disk while it is off or do I have to do it as it turns on or during the grey/apple/spinning wheel screen?

Edit: Okay, I've tried booting into safe mode, but the grey bar disappears 1/4th the way. So I dod the disk utility and did a disk repair. It said that it was fine, but it was stuck at updating boot support partitions w/o a progress and waited but nothing happened. I restarted and did the PRAM method, but still no fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.