connecting older emac to airport extreme base..hlp!

Reaction score
Hi everyone..fabs here..I recently picked up an older emac, here are it's specs:
emac
OSX 10.3.9
700mhz
384 sdram
bus speed 100mhz
when i open the cd drive here is the info on the inside door:
G4/700/128/40combo/56K/Nvid/FW/110v/osx

the problem i have is trying to connect it to my airport extreme (quite new).
The AE is working well with my imac and friends have successfully connected their devices to my network.
I don't know what my emac can't connect? i recently ordered some (used)airport cards for the emac (yes they are the right ones for it, i checked it out before buying). Once installed, i see the "airport" logo on the upper right side, and it does show my wireless network. When i go to Join the network, i enter the passwork and says it has trouble joining the network...
any ideas? can it be a "security" issue (WEP,WAP???) thanks
fabs

oh ya, i also have a g4 tower in my garage and installed another airport card it it and same thing..shows the network but can't join it..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Our network gurus will surely correct me if I am wrong but the problem may well be a security setting. If I remember correctly some of the early Airport cards don't always play nice with more modern security schemes such as WPA.

One thing that you could try just to see if things are indeed functioning is to temporarily remove all wireless network security. Then test to se if that machine is able to connect. Once you know that turn security back on. Post the results of your test and we'll go from there.

OP
F
Reaction score
slydude...i did what you suggested and it worked! so what does this mean? do i have to make one of my wireless connections "open" or is there a common safe -connection that will work for the emac and the AE? i know there is WAP,WEP and some other ones....thanks again
fabs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending upon the age of the cards involved they probably support WEP but that encryption is apparently relatively easy to crack given model tools. Here's what Apple says is required for WPA support
AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card (available via Software Update)
AirPort software version 3.2 or later for the AirPort Extreme Card (available via Software Update)

I wouldn't run without encryption. I would run Software Update and make sure that the software is current. I'll keep checking to see what else I can find,

Update: I've seen a few posts suggesting that switching the router so that it is in 802.11 G mode as opposed to mixed B/G/N mode has helped some users.

OP
F
Reaction score
sly..thanks again...but how do i change my router to be on a "G" network? thanks
fabs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Launch the Airport Utility and select your AE at the left. Click the Airport symbol at the top of the screen. Click the Wireless Tab.

There is a drop down menu marked something like Radio Mode. Set it from Automatic to B/G and apply the settings. Try the network connection now with it set to WPA. Note that this change slows the wireless network to G speed for all devices.

OP
F
Reaction score
sly..thanks i will try it...will it really slow down the system? i also have a laptop and apple tv working on the wireless? thanks
fabs

OP
F
Reaction score
Also, i have a regular network and a "guest" on the AE. ..can i set the regular one to N and the guest to B/G? this way i can keep my current setup on the N and the older emac on the B/G??
thanks
fabs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should work but I have not tried it.

OP
F
Reaction score
SO i tried putting the guest network to WEP and still doesn't work...it seems like i have to really open up the connection to get it to work.,..maybe dropping the regular network (not guest) to wep or lower and see what gives? very strange...i even tried switching to a b/g network and didn't work..
thanks
fabs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.