Missing features in lion…

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm using lion for quite a while now, after upgrading from snow leopard. But there are a few things that don't work anymore.

• How do you drag stuff from the desktop into a window on top of it in lion? In snow leopard, I used to use the gesture to move the window away, grabbed the file on the desktop and then used the reverse gesture to move the folder window back. On lion, this doesn't work anymore and Now I have to move my window away every time I want to grad in something from the desktop. Any ideas?

• in SL, it was possible to adjust the volume in small steps by holding option+shift and pressing the volume buttons, this doesn't work anymore which is a problem because it's still far too loud on the lowest available level now when I have headphones attached and i have to use the system preferences to get a comfortable volume. Is there a way to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I believe the first gesture you are referring to is the "show desktop" gesture. If so, this still exists, and can even be customized with third party apps such as Better Touch Tool (which I'm running and it's awesome btw).

Go in to system preferences> trackpad>more gestures. You'll find that one on the bottom. Unfortunately, the show desktop feature no longer works when previewing a document in full screen mode. This urks me a bit.

As for the volume issue, I haven't found a fix for this either. It's annoying.

Doug

P.S. As for dragging things, you've got the three finger drag gesture (this is new) but there's also the older one finger double tap/hold drag gesture. That one is hidden in System preferences>Universal access>mouse and trackpad>trackpad options (bottom of that UI). I much prefer the single finger douple tap/hold drag because then you can set the three finger swipe gesture for left and right navigation globally, rather than having to tap back and forth arrows in each UI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.