hotel room blues...

Reaction score
good evening Forum,

i searched for some threads on this, but can't find any. however i am a troglodite............

i am staying at a hotel for a couple weeks and can't get the ATV to see (or even list) netflix in the 'internet' menu.

youtube appears, but the ATV says: "no content was found. there is a problem connecting with youtube. please try again later."

i can see me macbook fine, and there is no problem connecting with the tv as there is an available HDMI input.

any ideas?

thanks!
andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Odds are the Hotel has the required ports blocked to keep people from hogging their limited bandwidth that has to be shared by all guests. It's pretty common and their isn't much you can do about it....

OP
B
Reaction score
Odds are the Hotel has the required ports blocked to keep people from hogging their limited bandwidth that has to be shared by all guests. It's pretty common and their isn't much you can do about it....

This seems likely, but he HDMI port is clearly responding as the majority of ATV functions are working. I can see my photos and music from my Macbook, etc.

I believe there might be a problem with the fact that unlike my iPhone and macbook, I can't see a browser screen where I can 'login' or 'accept' the rules for using the hotel's internet connection.

Is there a way to plug the data cable from the wall into my macbook and use it as a 'hot spot' and have the ATV get it's signal from my laptop? Then I can 'accept' the terms of use and maybe it would work.

Can anyone help me do this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Open the sharing prefs pane and select Internet then check the box to share and make sure it is set to ethernet. This will enable you to create your own wireless network from the Mac. You can set encryption and a password if you like. Then just join the AV 2 to that network and make sure the Mac has logged into the hotels network.

You may still encounter the issues I noted above, or not.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes. Open the sharing prefs pane and select Internet then check the box to share and make sure it is set to ethernet. This will enable you to create your own wireless network from the Mac. You can set encryption and a password if you like. Then just join the AV 2 to that network and make sure the Mac has logged into the hotels network.

You may still encounter the issues I noted above, or not.

Thanks for the help, baggss,

I followed your instructions (screenshot attached.)

In the network menu on the ATV, it only showed the hotel's wireless networks. I chose "other" and entered <andrew-bacas-macbook.local>

After scanning, the ATV tells me: "the wi-fi network you are attempting to join cannot be found."

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

when the ATV prompted me to enter the name of the network i wanted to join (by I

Screen Shot 2012-01-05 at 5.17.40 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uncheck the Ethernet box and check the WiFi box. You'll have to urn sharing off first. You are trying to share the wired connection as a wireless connection so you can't select Ethernet, you have to select WiFi....

Once you do they ate ATV will see the wireless network you have created...

OP
B
Reaction score
Uncheck the Ethernet box and check the WiFi box. You'll have to urn sharing off first. You are trying to share the wired connection as a wireless connection so you can't select Ethernet, you have to select WiFi....

Once you do they ate ATV will see the wireless network you have created...

baggss,

it worked!

i can't tell you how much i appreciate your help! two weeks in the hotel would've sucked without netflix!

interestingly, i had no luck until i assigned a password for the connection between the ATV and my mac. for some reason that made a difference.

thanks again, baggss!

-andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You can do that with the internet sharing on your mac and then you can set up a vpn or proxy so that you can get past the block they have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.