accidentally deleted some files....HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
just got a macbook, was messing with wine/wine bottler to open some .exe files, after that I decided it was stupid so I app zapped wine.

later I open Finder, and when I clicked "All my files" on the left, i noticed a bunch of .exes left over from wine. I proceeded to delete everything under the "All my files" directory....huge mistake?

my problem is now when I try to open .dmg files to install apps, the window that usually pops up telling me to drag the program icon into my applications folder to install it, is completely blank! how do I fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you deleted everything in "All my Files", you'll need to reinstall in order to insure everything is replaced. Yes, that was a bad move especially since it's real easy to remove Wine and the Bottler package.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not necessarily. Reinstalling Lion should not remove or erase any of your personal files, however, make a backup first! Use whatever means you have to copy things like music, movies, and photos to another location before you reinstall.

You do a reinstall of Lion by holding down your OPTION key during a reboot of the computer. Then select the Recovery partition. Once in Recovery, do the reinstall. Make sure you're connected to the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I proceeded to delete everything under the "All my files" directory....huge mistake?
Everything…? All your documents, pictures, safari bookmarks etc are mirrored in there from their real place.
Are these gone or did you just mean you deleted everything related to wine?

OP
F
Reaction score
i clicked "All my files", noticed that most of the files were either .exe files, or other files from wine, so i deleted everything.

my os works fine and i dont think anything else was deleted....but .dmgs are not installing properly. i just get a blank window , or i get a window with the application on the left, the arrow, and my app folder on the right (the window telling you to drag the app to your app folder to install it) and both icons are missing and only the arrow is there. or the window is completely blank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hmm, ok. Follow chscag's reinstallation instructions and your OS should be fine again.

Make sure you have a backup! Also, keeping regular backups in the future will also make stuff like this trivial to undo if you use Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.