Question a Refurbished iMac and Magic Mouse vs Magic Trackpad

Reaction score
Hello! First post in here :) I am getting myself an iMac for my birthday at the end of this month. I am thinking about getting it refurbished since this seems like the best way to go and the student discount only gets me $50 off. I'm getting the 21.5 cheapest option, if that is useful to know.

I know it comes with the Magic Mouse, as do all in-store purchases of the iMac. I've read about some being able to switch out the Mouse for the Trackpad, some who get the Trackpad thrown in for free, and some who just have no luck at all (this is usually me). So my question is, if I order my iMac and choose the "Pick-up" method, do you think that a Genius may still either let me switch the Mouse or even throw in the Trackpad for free? Or is this just a courtesy those who buy new get, which I'd understand, I guess. I want to know if it would be worth waiting 2-3 days later to get my iMac in-store to try this (and also at risk of looking like a cheapo carrying around the battered up box refurbs come in, heaven forbid! in the hoidy-toidy mall I live by).

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, if I order my iMac and choose the "Pick-up" method, do you think that a Genius may still either let me switch the Mouse or even throw in the Trackpad for free?

If you go to Apple.com...choose an iMac model to purchase...then go to the configure page...and choose "Magic Trackpad" instead of the "Magic Mouse"...you'll see there is no extra charge. So you should be able to get either input device as part of the base iMac price (no extra charge).

As to whether you can get both (at no extra charge)...if this happens...it's strictly on a case by case basis...and is usually an impromptu judgement call made by the Apple person you're dealing with. So no real way to predict things.

If you really want one or the other input device...just make it part of the computers configuration at purchase time.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
If you go to Apple.com...choose an iMac model to purchase...then go to the configure page...and choose "Magic Trackpad" instead of the "Magic Mouse"...you'll see there is no extra charge. So you should be able to get either input device as part of the base iMac price (no extra charge).

Yes, but you don't have that option when ordering refurbished...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but you don't have that option when ordering refurbished...

Then I guess you're stuck with the Magic Mouse;)...and if you're lucky when you pickup the computer...they will either let you swap the Magic Mouse for the Magic Trackpad...or if your REALLY lucky...they'll just give you a Magic Trackpad.

But don't have any pre-concieved expectations. If you get a magic trackpad...it's a bonus...not a entitlement.;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Then I guess you're stuck with the Magic Mouse;)...and if you're lucky when you pickup the computer...they will either let you swap the Magic Mouse for the Magic Trackpad...or if your REALLY lucky...they'll just give you a Magic Trackpad.

But don't have any pre-concieved expectations. If you get a magic trackpad...it's a bonus...not a entitlement.;)

- Nick

Looks like I'll be curling my hair and wearing makeup and a low-cut shirt on the day I go in to pick up O:) hehe

and if I get a girl Genius... guess I'll be buying the Trackpad, lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like I'll be curling my hair and wearing makeup and a low-cut shirt on the day I go in to pick up O:) hehe

You would be surprised how effective this can be!;)

and if I get a girl Genius... guess I'll be buying the Trackpad, lol

Well...not necessarily if you know what I mean!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.