Mounting a second hard drive as a folder in OSX Lion

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but I am going to install a second 1TB hard drive in my Macbook Pro 13in (Mid 2010) and I want to use it only for my /users/username/movies folder. I tried searching but maybe I searched the wrong keywords??
I know I can change my "Home" folder to any location but this is about just a folder within the "Home" folder.

In Linux I could mount any drive as a folder, just hoping this is true for Mac as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Shouldn't be a problem. Just note that the naming conventions are different from Linux. Where drives in Linux are signified by the device /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX, they follow a different naming scheme in OS X. Since OS X is BSD based, it follows a more "BSD-esque" naming scheme. For instance, my primary hard drive is /dev/disk0s2.

To mount a device:
Code:
diskutil mount -mountPoint <where you want to mount the drive to> <device name>
For instance, if I wanted to mount my currently plugged in USB drive to ~/donatello (my thumb drive is named donatello - yes, after the ninja turtles), I would execute the following:
Code:
diskutil mount -mountPoint ~/donatello/ /dev/disk1s1
To unmount it, I simply execute the following:
Code:
diskutil unmount /dev/disk1s1
I personally find this to be much more elegant than the mount tool since you don't have to pass it parameters to specify filesystem or any other mount option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
(my thumb drive is named donatello - yes, after the ninja turtles)

Disappointed.

donatello

Other than the discrepancy in Dontatello's, I agree with van's post entirely :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.