Lost file... It just dissapeared

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I got my macbook in August and I have been learning the ins and outs of this awesome technology...
but now there's a few problems.

I am a writer and so for me to lose a 200 page file that I have been working on since I got the computer is a devastating loss....

It's weird though.. the file name shows up when I left click on "Pages", yet I cannot find the file in "Finder" OR when I click on the magnifying glass and type in the file name.

I have tried searching for .doc and .docx files but I have no luck.

Can anyone help/explain to me what's going on???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you set the preferences in Pages to make a backup of your files automatically? And did you by chance save the file without specifying DOC or DOCX? Pages does not automatically save a file to those formats but instead will default to its own file format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look in your "Documents" folder. Pages will save to that location by default. Check the size of the files in your Documents folder. A 200 page document will be of substantial size and should be easy to spot.

OP
J
Reaction score
No. It's not there.

The thing is... It shows up when I right-click the pages icon in my dock, but it doesn't show up anywhere else on my computer. It's as if.. it disappeared totally.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the file was somehow accidentally deleted it would still show up as a recent item when you right click on the Pages dock icon. Please look in your Trash before doing anything else. If the file does not show up when you do a Spotlight search (magnifying glass) and it's not in the Trash, it may have been deleted.

C

chas_m

This should be a moment's work (at best) using Time Machine. Surely, SURELY you have been backing up your important work ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.