• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple loses bid to keep information sealed in Psystar case

Reaction score
Apple loses bid to keep information sealed in Psystar case

gavel-8882374234.jpg
In its ongoing suit against unauthorized Mac clone maker Psystar, Apple has been denied in its bid to keep certain information about OS X sealed from public view. According to Bloomberg, Judge William Alsup noted that information Apple claims are "trade secrets" are already publicly available on the internet from a variety of sources.

Apple attempted to claim that although this information about OS X was already publicly available, since the company itself hadn't confirmed its veracity the information still qualified for trade secret protection. Judge Alsup disagreed, saying, "Apple cannot have this court seal information merely to avoid confirmation that the publicly available sources got it right."

Apple is suing Psystar for copyright infringement over Psystar producing and selling unauthorized clones of the Mac running Apple's proprietary Mac OS X software. Apple successfully obtained a sales injunction against Psystar years ago, and that injunction was recently upheld in court -- a somewhat moot point, as the company hasn't produced any hardware since 2009.

Apple loses bid to keep information sealed in Psystar case originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder what information about OSX they're trying to protect...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apple attempted to claim that although this information about OS X was already publicly available, since the company itself hadn't confirmed its veracity the information still qualified for trade secret protection.

Classic!

Can I sue someone for slander or libel if they reference documentation that I did or said something, but I didn't confirm that I did or said it? This could be a interesting precedent. I may have to come up with an early retirement scheme!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Off to appeals. Keeps lawyers off the streets I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.