Call blocking/ignoring app?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good way to either ignore or block incoming calls from one particular number, however every app I've found that alleges to have these capabilities has very negative reviews. (iBlacklist manager, Call Avoider Pro, etc.) TrapCall had decent reviews, but their cheapest service is $5/month, which is way too expensive

Anyone have any advice? Seems it shouldn't be difficult.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm looking for a good way to either ignore or block incoming calls from one particular number, however every app I've found that alleges to have these capabilities has very negative reviews. (iBlacklist manager, Call Avoider Pro, etc.)

Anyone have any advice? Seems it shouldn't be difficult.

It seems from what I understand that if your wireless service doesn't do it for you it can't be done (other than the works arounds of assigning silent ringtone to known unwanted calls).

OP
J
Reaction score
True, I see what you are saying. But couldn't an app easily ignore unwanted phone calls?

OnReceivePhoneCall
{
if (incoming call is on unwanted list)
{
Ignore();
}
}

Even if they leave a message, most voice-mail services have filters on them.

Sure seems like someone could make a quick buck with just a few lines of code.

I guess the question is: does Apple allow apps to receive call notifications and then handle the call?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Probably the hard-faced way is to delete the contact in your address book and don't answer any calls from a number that you don't recognise.
If people really wanted to contact you they would leave a message surely.
Razormac is right.

OP
J
Reaction score
Right. I'm not disagreeing with Razormac. If I could, I would change the thread title to "Ignoring Unwanted Calls App." I don't want to hear/feel the phone ring, and I don't want to see the unwanted missed call show up in my recent calls list.

I still believe there should be an app for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right. I'm not disagreeing with Razormac. If I could, I would change the thread title to "Ignoring Unwanted Calls App." I don't want to hear/feel the phone ring, and I don't want to see the unwanted missed call show up in my recent calls list.

I still believe there should be an app for that.

Mate, there aren't any feasible apps. There are some that will go part way but it is all controlled by your phone service provider and unless they support it you are snookered.
Changing your number is painful but it may give you some respite...another trick is to get on the front foot and pick up the call but answer it with silence..this can cause no end of fun.

I also know a mate who used to answer text messages with no content in his replies by way of not speaking to the sender.

C

chas_m

It's already been stated over and over again, but this criteria above PRECLUDES the possibility of an app-based solution. In other words, such an app is *flatly impossible* on the receiving side of a phone.

Such a blockage would HAVE to happen on the CARRIER side of the technology.

Speak to your carrier about what you want. An app isn't going to do the job.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's already been stated over and over again, but this criteria above PRECLUDES the possibility of an app-based solution. In other words, such an app is *flatly impossible* on the receiving side of a phone.

Such a blockage would HAVE to happen on the CARRIER side of the technology.

Speak to your carrier about what you want. An app isn't going to do the job.

You are saying there is no way to programmatically silence and then ignore an incoming call based on whether the number is found in a locally stored blacklist, and then delete the call from the received calls list?

And furthermore, you are claiming that the CARRIER side would be capable of such an action?

I think you are wrong on both accounts.

C

chas_m

I am claiming that Apple's phone application (which is ultimately what it is) will NEVER do what the OP wants it to do. EVER. Nor do I think anyone else is ever going to offer such a program, and even if they did, good luck getting it to OVERRIDE Apple's phone app. Never say never, but highly unlikely. REALLY highly unlikely.

I am also claiming that the carrier *can indeed* do what the OP wants it to do, because I've had first-hand experience with this (in Florida). A friend of mine was being harassed by an ex and the phone company blocked his numbers and ONLY his numbers on her request (they actually spoke with her attorney).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess that there is also a fundamental dollar-driven reason as to why call-blocking is not made readily available by the industry.

Reaction score
I am claiming that Apple's phone application (which is ultimately what it is) will NEVER do what the OP wants it to do. EVER. Nor do I think anyone else is ever going to offer such a program, and even if they did, good luck getting it to OVERRIDE Apple's phone app. Never say never, but highly unlikely. REALLY highly unlikely.

I am also claiming that the carrier *can indeed* do what the OP wants it to do, because I've had first-hand experience with this (in Florida). A friend of mine was being harassed by an ex and the phone company blocked his numbers and ONLY his numbers on her request (they actually spoke with her attorney).

THIS^^^^

pendlewitch said:
I guess that there is also a fundamental dollar-driven reason as to why call-blocking is not made readily available by the industry.

AND THIS^^^

Disclaimer: I'm a TrapCall rep.

There IS an app that can do this called iBlacklist, you'll notice it's only available on cydia for jailbroken phones. The problem is Apple will not let devs touch the phone app or the part of iOS that lets you decline calls because it's the same function that lets you answer and place calls, the theory is that a malicious app will place calls without your knowledge which is just hogwash. TrapCall does have an app, but it's primary function is to receive missed call alerts over push notification instead of SMS and to see previous incoming calls/voicemails you have received through the service, TrapCall it's self is not a 'blocking' service or app, but rather intended to unmask blocked calls so you can see their phone number (by using the call forwarding feature to forward your unanswered calls to our number). Apple doesn't like /THAT/ either, and it's not even our APP that does the unmasking, nor do you NEED the app to use that part of our service, the app is more of a complimentary tool to your existing service (like sirius/xm radio app would be when you already have a subscription). However, we do offer a BLACKLIST feature, but it's not in the context as most people think, instead callers on the blacklist get sent to a disconnected recording AFTER you decline the call. Trust us, we would LOVE to put that into the app as we did add that feature to our Blackberry and Android apps, but Apple won't allow it, **** they REMOVED our App in April on a whim from some Canadian carrier claiming it violated TOS when the app it's self doesn't even do the unmasking.

*THIS* is why I despise iPhones. They don't let you use the phone the way you want, and then remove your legit app that complies with their own policies on the whim of other telcos complaining.

Here's a short blog entry I made the other day on this subject

iPhone vs LG CU500 flip phone(circa 2006) « lucky225

And if any of you are TrapCall fans, please sign our petition

Education Petition: Tell Apple: I Want TrapCall Back In The App Store | Change.org

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.