Jailbreak iPhone 4S?

C

chas_m

I don't understand your post at all, but in general I would recommend not jailbreaking your brand new equipment. It can cause problems, it voids the warranty, it might brick your device and the benefits are (imo) too few unless you have some very specific reason for doing so.

Let someone else be the bleeding edge for a while.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend downloading and running anything unless you see it being mentioned on multiple reputable blogs and sites.

Reaction score
I don't understand your post at all, but in general I would recommend not jailbreaking your brand new equipment. It can cause problems, it voids the warranty, it might brick your device and the benefits are (imo) too few unless you have some very specific reason for doing so.

Let someone else be the bleeding edge for a while.

Yes good advice.

Is the jailbreaking process not reversible though? Or am I thinking of simple unlocking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I played with jailbreaking on my 3gs about a year ago. The apps were sub-standard, and the my phone became very unstable. Jailbreaking made it feel like an Android phone instead of a quality iPhone. Luckily I made a backup of my phone before jailbreaking it.

I wouldn't think of jailbreaking my 4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have my touch jailbroke and I use Ac1dSn0w beta 2. I am going to try it on my iphone as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
"Official" news usually comes from here.
Dev-Team Blog
I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 but as far as I know there is no jailbreak for A5 devices as of yet as the exploit used to load the jailbreak doesn’t exist on those devices.

Whatever site you pointed to also seemed to be full of questionable javascript ads so I would question it's authenticity.

Jailbreaking is reversible but the iPhone does know that you jailbroke. I'm sure it sends that you jailbroke back through iTunes as well. That being said - you can just do a restore from an official ipsw and the jailbreak will be gone.

Anyway - I tend not to do anything until I see it released on the iphone blog I pointed to up top.

It isn't worth it to everyone and if you are waiting for a A5 jailbreak then many of the things that make it worth it - you already have. For example there is a camera app that makes the camera come up quickly with an iPhone 4 - that already is built in on the 4s. It just fixes some annoyances I have with the default iOS.
-You can have unlimited apps on unlimited pages inside folders
-You can have 5 icons on the dock and launcher bar
-You can access all toggles on your phone with a gesture from anywhere
-you can make your lockscreen useful

Anyway - I think the site you pointed to is bogus IMHO.

C

chas_m

I should mention in the interest of disclosure that I jailbroke and unlocked my original iPhone when I moved to Canada (I basically didn't have a choice, couldn't really justify a new phone and contract). The original iPhone only goes up to 3.1.3 however, and I rarely installed any non-official apps on it (I did add one to let the iPhone do "video" (heh) and one to enable A2DP stereo bluetooth -- both very useful!). The iPhone was out of warranty and unable to be upgraded further when I did this.

Unlocking the iPhone has turned out to be a smart move, as I can use it when I travel in the US or here in Canada, but apart from this ability I would have had little interest. Still, I have to say that doing so extended the useful life of the device for me.

Once I finish my contract next year I'll be able to have my carrier here in Canada unlock the iPhone for me (without a jailbreak) so I can use it in the states as well. Of course, I might have to get an iPhone 5 by then ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
chasm you should go straight to Jail-breakers Anonymous and step away from the dark side ;D

C

chas_m

I should also mention that my iPhone 2G is considerably less "stable" under jailbreaking as echoed by others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.