• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leoperd vs. Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mh10190

I would like this to be a speculative thread on the future of the Mac and Windows, OS.

Vista and Leoperd are going to be coming out at the same time.
And currently Tiger is more advanced than XP.

Jobs said in the last WWDC that Leoperd will coincide with the launch of Vista.

I use windows and Mac extensivley, and i have been recently testing out vista

The beta is extremly buggy
But it is pretty, and is much better than XP
Its on par with Tiger

What i wonder is what Leoperd is going to be like
The mactels should come out by june, which is WWDC confernce time
And im sure jobs will have a demo of Leoperd ready

What features do you think it will have?
Will it be licensed to Dell or someone?
Will there be difffernt versions (tablet prehaps)?

What do you think?

OP
L

lil

Given Jobs' hate of the Clones programme, I expect Michael Dell selling computers with OS X on them under Jobs' reign at Apple is most unlikely.

That said we did burn intel's Bunnymen in 1997 and now we're going to be using intel's processors ;)

My wish for 10.5.

Fix the ... finder.

:flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
i hope Jobs doesnt cut a deal with Dell, I use a windows pc a lot as well and I hate Dell. I would rather use my old packard bell from 1995 than a Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
lil said:
Given Jobs' hate of the Clones programme, I expect Michael Dell selling computers with OS X on them under Jobs' reign at Apple is most unlikely.

That said we did burn intel's Bunnymen in 1997 and now we're going to be using intel's processors ;)

My wish for 10.5.

Fix the ... finder.

:flower:

Vicky

There's a FINDER ?!?

;)

My hope for 10.5

Something even faster than 10.4 =) =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
I'd hate to see OS X on a Dell, HP, Gateway or what have you. Apple should keep it all in their circle and maintain what they have right now, even if it means letting Microsoft rule the majority of the market. Apple always have the iTunes store and the iPod as a rather reliable source of profit -- or at least I think so.

Imagine seeing a nicely polished OS, such as Leopard, run on a piece of crap ugly black box. Actually, I have nothing against Microsoft or Windows... nor do I hate the PC manufacturers! But when you look at a G5 tower standing next to a Dell, there's a good chance that you'll find the G5 better looking. I for one like when my hardware looks as nicely as the OS. It's just a more enjoyable experience.

I agree, the finder needs a-fixin'. A better file management is in order. Even though I hate to admit it, I think Windows lets you preview and identify files a bit better while you browse in Explorer - especially if you're talking about images. That's the ONLY thing that could and should be improved in OS X. Everything else is great. Hence why I use my iBook a million times more often than my PC.

Reaction score
as a prospective switcher, you guys tellin me the finder sucks? what's wrong with it?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yogi said:
as a prospective switcher, you guys tellin me the finder sucks? what's wrong with it?!
I'm just not too happy with the way it handles images. Like for example, one thing that kinda bugs me is this: Say you take a picture with your digital camera, you import it to your Mac. Now say you want to rotate your image. You have to open the image in Preview, and then rotate it.

If you have Finder set to display "icon previews" (thumbnails) of your images, those thumbs will not appear rotated, even though you did rotate your image.

I hope that makes sense... I guess you just have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

That's just one thing that bugs me, personally. Other than that I'll take the Finder over Explorer any day!

OP
Z

zap2

I can see Leapod being over shadowed by intel chips, i think Jobs will make updates to .5 from .4 but not like .3 to .4 updates

The JObs will try and take the OS debate to SoftWare and HardWare, HE knows Apple can't lose in SoftWare but he hope in HardWare speed (raw ghz) Apple will be able to gain the upperhand

OP
M

mh10190

What about if apple signs deals to license OS X to only a certain type of PC
Like the Dell XPS series
and alienware and other boutique pc manufacturers
and make sure they use the same tech that will try to curb craking and putting it on a regular computer (like that can be stopped)
as for not making a big deal about the switch
i think jobs has to really blow vista out of the water
leoperd has to be AMAZING
and it has to be a viable alternative to vista
so that more people will switch
think about leoperd running on apple certified dells

as for the finder being the only issue, i can understand
but what other features woulld you like to see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I guarantee OSX will never be licensed to another company as long as Steve is around. They tried it once, miserable failure. Regardless of what people think, Apple is still mainly a hardware company and that's where they get most of their money. They'd cannibalize their own market by letting cheaper PC makers outsell them.

And heck last time they tried it they had a much greater market share. This time it would be disastrous. Licensing would only be profitable if Apple controlled over 30% of the market I'd say.

OP
M

mh10190

listen
i love mac
but im still mainly a windows user
i like the fact that the hardware is open
and that i can customize everything

as for licensing to dell will canabalize their market
what exactly is their market
people who dont like pcs
they have a cultish following
and they have been making a good living off their small market share
so they will never lose thos guys

if they open their hardware
it will bring in a new audience
and it will expand their market share

the first (if at all) way they will do it is on the server front
Mac OS X server is Amazing
but your limited to 3 models
and that is stunting its growth
i think they need to start licensing their server Os first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
I've used various OS's since DOS 2.1, and honestly most of the so called tech talk about superiority of one OS to another is really a matter of preference, and truthfully one of familiarity.

Ever since Windows NT came out, there really haven't been many major improvements on the true technical side of the Windows OS. Pre-emptive multitasking was basically it, the last major technical 'innards' advance in Microsoft desktop operating systems. The rest of the changes have been 'gimmicks' or 'planned obsolenence' - ie not supporting the OS with future drivers and packages like DirectX.

There was a ton of hype when XP came out, just like now with Vista. Personally, I think Windows 2000 was the best OS that MS made. XP added a bunch of unnecessary glitter on top of Win2k and dumbed down the interface in an attempt to make it idiot proof, but there was really no substance to it. Win2k was the last MS OS I ever bought, although I work with and have to support XP machines at work (and on my work laptop, an IBM T31).

The main thing I like about Tiger, and OS X in general, is its unix side. The shell, the ability to download and compile standard C/C++ programs and have them install in a very 'standard' way is OS X's real strength. It makes OS X a convergence point between a commercial OS with a clean, standard interface and the open source software movement. Basically, if you have OS X you don't really need Linux, and you certainly don't need Windows. You have the capabilities of both already (with the exception of kernel hacking OS X). Right out of the box Tiger has gcc, perl, make, python, shell scripting ability, java, and a programming IDE. Yeah you can *make* windows do all that, but even then compiling any program written for unix will require at a minimum changing path names in the make files - and probably a good bit more since MS doesn't like to use standard libraries or headers.

There is the BIG BIG difference between OS X and Windows (all of them) that goes right to their core, and one most people don't grasp.

MS makes single user multitasking operating systems. OS X is a true multi user multitasking operating system. There are ways to 'emulate' multi user characteristics on MS operating systems, but at its heart MS windows was never meant to be a multiuser system. I am not talking about being a file server here, I mean multi user in the sense of having multiple people logged into and running programs on your box. With windows, you generally serve up files which are run remotely. That isn't really necessary with OS X.

A good example of this is windows terminal vs telnet to OS X. Open up a windows terminal session and start running a job, then try to figure out who's id that job is running under. Guess what? You can't. Open up a telnet session to your mac and log in as a different user than what you have logged into the GUI as. Type 'who' in a shell session and you can see who is logged in. Any processes they start will show up with their user ID.

What I'm saying here is that in windows, the OS is built around the GUI.

In OS X the GUI is built around the OS.

It's a big structural difference that isn't going to go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
reading the above i dont have anything else to say what a good post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
snausages said:
I'm just not too happy with the way it handles images. Like for example, one thing that kinda bugs me is this: Say you take a picture with your digital camera, you import it to your Mac. Now say you want to rotate your image. You have to open the image in Preview, and then rotate it.

If you have Finder set to display "icon previews" (thumbnails) of your images, those thumbs will not appear rotated, even though you did rotate your image.

I hope that makes sense... I guess you just have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

That's just one thing that bugs me, personally. Other than that I'll take the Finder over Explorer any day!

I dont think this is a Finder issue. It's a Preview issue imho. If you open a image in PS CS and rotate the image the icon changes to match. There is a similar issue with iPhoto regarding name changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IronMac said:
I dont think this is a Finder issue. It's a Preview issue imho. If you open a image in PS CS and rotate the image the icon changes to match. There is a similar issue with iPhoto regarding name changes.
I didn't know that, I don't have Photoshop. They need to fix Preview then... and iPhoto! :D

Reaction score
here are my two cents,

eventually, there will be 3 major OS's.
two we already know, (ms and apple)

the third os will be able to run both ms and apple at any given time and
still be its own.

perhaps i am too far ahead of myself but i can this happenning within
the next 10 to 15 years.

to me it only makes sense to create one new os that has
the best of both worlds. simplicity is the key word. user friendly!

finally, i think that the new os along with software programs will be simplified so
that it can catch on with people. right now, for example, if i want to create a flash
presentation i need to have a good background in computers, lots of patience to learn the software and lots of free time. the new os along with the programs it will handle should dissolve all these issues into one or two steps.

again, this is just my mind browsing the future!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be great, yeah. Plus, imagine if it were open source.

I don't see that happening, though, mainly because neither Microsoft nor Apple would agree to collaborate on such a thing, because of the monetary factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
unpresi said:
here are my two cents,

eventually, there will be 3 major OS's.
two we already know, (ms and apple)

the third os will be able to run both ms and apple at any given time and
still be its own.

perhaps i am too far ahead of myself but i can this happenning within
the next 10 to 15 years.

If you do some research , there are signs that Apple is doing just that with the switch to the Intel processor. Because the processors will be common, the emulation required to run Windows Apps on the Mac will be significantly less complicated. They are called Virtual macines. There is a school of thought that says that Apple is heading this way already and it's just a mater of time. The same would be true of Linux apps as well.

There are already early copies of 10.3 for Intel on web floating around. Most can be run on any PC without much trouble. As progressive versions come out, Apple is making the protection against this sort thing better and better and has started tying it to specific hardware that will only come in Macs. That being said, someone will always find a way around the protection and there will always be copies of OSX for non Apple PCs no matter what Apple does. There is a line of debate that says Apple is doing this on purpose to give those willing to try, a "taste" of OSX before they buy an Apple box.

We also know that while Apple is NOT planning on licensing OSX, they have said they will do nothing to impede the running of Windows on their machines, they just won't actively support it. MS has said they will likely support the Apple machines. Either way,dual boot Macs ARE coming, bye bye VPC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
snausages said:
and iPhoto! :D

They need to scrap iPhoto and start over. They're just too lazy to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.