Hard drive issue?

Reaction score
Yesterday my MBP froze and I restarted by holding the power button down.

After I did that it made the sound it normally does and went to the white/grey screen with the apple logo. It won't go past that screen at all. It shows the apple logo and the spinning loading symbol like usual and the symbol keeps spinning.

Do I need to reload with the disc it came with?

Could it be something to do with the hard drive? I had my hard drive replaced last year so I'm hoping it's not something to do with that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your original install media? Boot with it, select the language, skip over the reinstall, and select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight your hard drive on the left side, select verify and repair from the first aid menu on the right side. Report back what it says.

OP
F
Reaction score
Do you have your original install media? Boot with it, select the language, skip over the reinstall, and select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight your hard drive on the left side, select verify and repair from the first aid menu on the right side. Report back what it says.
I don't have my disc but someone in my family has a macbook pro and I can use theirs. But I have a 17 inch and they have a 15 inch if that makes a difference. Also my CD drive needs to be repaired so for now I've been using an external drive/burner and from the few things I saw online it said you need to use the computers drive.

I had previously tried the whole single user mode fsck thing and it said invalid nodes and that it tried 3 times to repair the drive but failed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had previously tried the whole single user mode fsck thing and it said invalid nodes and that it tried 3 times to repair the drive but failed.

The invalid node error is usually a fatal error. It's likely your hard drive needs to be replaced. And yes, you're going to need an original boot DVD.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

Turns out the other DVD is missing. I went looking for it and couldn't find it.

Is my best bet to just go to the genuis bar now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.