Syncing iPhone with new computer...

Reaction score
Firstly, I apologise, as I realise this has already been questioned many times before, but there are a variety of responses so I'd like a definite answer :/
Ok, I've just got a macbook, which I would like to sync my iPhone to. I've copied the iTunes folder over from the old pc, authorised it, all works fine etc.
However, I am still worried about what will happen when I plug my iPhone in. I realise that I can just sync all the apps and songs again, however, what I am most concerned with is will I lose all my messages and contacts? I really do not want this to happen. So if anyone can provide me with a simple guide to stop this from happening, that would be great thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
If you PLUG in your iPhone it should sync your contacts to the Address Book automatically and your messages should stay on your phone because these are never synched in iTunes.
For the avoidance of any doubt back up your contacts from your iPhone to a suitable source.

Edit: When I say 'sync your contacts' it won't delete them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I have also seen people saying that if you enter at least one contact and calendar entry on the new computer, then when you first sync, you should get the option to merge the data. Do you know anything about this? Some people also talk about turning off auto syncing and then right-click on my iPhones in the iTunes sidebar once I've plugged it in and selecting backup - would this create a backup of everything that is currently on the phone, and then I can just reinstall everything again? And ensure that I keep my contacts and messages as people say that messages are saved in the iTunes backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Ok, thanks. I have also seen people saying that if you enter at least one contact and calendar entry on the new computer, then when you first sync, you should get the option to merge the data. Do you know anything about this?

I don't pete rawli. All I know is that the Mac is an intuitive beast and if you connect another interrelated source to it like the iPhone then contacts are rudimentary and will automatically just synch to the Address Book..you may be given a prompt, but to be honest it's not something that Apple would take the risk of leaving to chance which is one of the reasons why we're using Mac in the first place.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.