Will my iMac G4 run OS X 10.5?

Reaction score
I am new to mac and have just bought a G4, I will list the specs below. I would like to know if it will run OS X 10.5 and if there is a cheap upgrade as I own 10.4, or do I need to pay full price.

My specs are:

800mhz processor
512mb ram
60gb hdd

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Your Mac doesn't meet the requirements for 10.5. 10.4.11 is the highest for that Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As "gsahli" mentioned...technically your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for OS 10.5. Officially from Apple...you need at least an 867mhz G4 processor (you have an 800mhz).

There is a program call "Leopard Assist"...that "fools" the OS 10.5 installer into installing 10.5 on slower computers:

LeopardAssist

You may not get the best OS 10.5 performance on a slower computer...but it will run.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Will LeopardAssist work to install 10.5 on an old iBook G3 @ 900MHz? Or is that just too far out of spec to even consider? It is running 10.4.11 currently. It has been sitting in my closet and rarely gets used. (The only thing I really use it for is to maintain my old iPod Nano). I bumped up the RAM to it's max of 640MB, put in an Airport card, and have an external FireWire DVD/RW. But there is only so much you can do with older hardware... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
AndiWhitts:
You'll need to buy 10.5 - you can only use Black retail DVDs - not gray ones.

pigoo3: Thanks. Hadn't used it so didn't know about LeopardAssist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Will LeopardAssist work to install 10.5 on an old iBook G3 @ 900MHz? Or is that just too far out of spec to even consider? It is running 10.4.11 currently. It has been sitting in my closet and rarely gets used. (The only thing I really use it for is to maintain my old iPod Nano). I bumped up the RAM to it's max of 640MB, put in an Airport card, and have an external FireWire DVD/RW. But there is only so much you can do with older hardware... :)

I think that's asking too much. Even my older G4 is still running Tiger 10.4.11, but that's fine for what I want it to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->

Leopard however will not run on the 900 MHz iBook G3 models even though they exceed the minimum 867 MHz requirement. This is due to the lack of AltiVec in the G3 line of processors and the fact that most pre-G4 and early G4 systems do not have video hardware capable of supporting Core Image, two technologies Leopard relies upon heavily, among others.

Source

Reaction score
I figured as much, but it was worth asking. :)

I have a late 2009 MacBook which has replaced the old iBook and has been serving me well, and can run an up-to-date OS, so I'm not lacking in support. I just feel bad that the old iBook is sitting unused in the closet.

I may try and re-purpose it as a starter computer for my mother. For browsing the web and sending/receiving email it should suit her well. Pending of course that I can actually even get her online. Being in her mid 60's and never having used a computer she is reluctant to even try. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.