burn format

Reaction score
best format for burning dvd

I want to create a dvd to view on a dvd player with the application 'burn'

Could someone explain what each of these formats are and which is the right one for my use. vcd, svcd, dvd-video, divx.

OP
T
Reaction score
what are these formats for? audio cd, mp3 disc, dvd-audio
I am using the application 'burn'

which will be the best quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
audio cd - for music (source files are converted to the WAV file format) - same standard that you get buying an off-the-shelf music CD

mp3 disc - a data disc that just contains mp3 - source mp3 files are not converted

dvd-audio - a specific audio format for DVD, much like the audio CD standard with larger capacity, higher bit-rate and more features

As with your video post the quality really depends on the source material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
vcd and svcd are fairly old standards now so I'd steer clear of them.

divx uses a specific DivX codec that some but not all standalone DVD players can handle.

The 'best' solution to ensure compatibility is to use DVD-video

OP
T
Reaction score
The discs are good Taiyo Yuden and the burner Matshita UJ-8A8

I would like to know the best settings to burn the cd.

Will a mp3 cd have better quality?
In the application Burn I can change the bitrate if burning an mp3 disc. Should I adjust this? I understand a higher bitrate will use more memory on the disc?

Maybe I should just use iTunes for burning audio cd's. I read burning at 4x speed may be best? why is this?

Sound check will level out the sound for all songs on the disc will this have much of an effect on sound quality?

C

chas_m

Thudbutt, what is it you actually want to do? What is the end goal here?

As mrplow's post explained, each of three choices are entirely different formats and not compatible with each other. If you want to make a music CD, then "Audio CD" is your only option. If you want to make a data disc of MP3 files that some car-audio systems and portable CDs players MAY be able to read, make an MP3 disc. If you have a DVD Audio player, make a DVD Audio disc. These are not interchangeable options.

OP
T
Reaction score
I want to burn some music onto disc for posterity though I would also like to listen to the music whenever I choose. It seems that if I want the best and unchanged quality I must create a data cd and if I want to listen to the music through a stereo then burn a second disc as an audio cd. correct?

My questions still remain for burning an audio cd.

I would like to know the best settings to burn an audio cd.

Will an mp3 cd have better quality?
In the application Burn I can change the bitrate if burning an mp3 disc. Should I adjust this? I understand a higher bitrate will use more memory on the disc?

Maybe I should just use iTunes for burning audio cd's. I read burning at 4x speed may be best or is this just dvd? why is this?

Sound check will level out the sound for all songs on the disc will this have much of an effect on sound quality?

simply, how can I ensure the best quality/least quality loss on an audio cd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

By default the Burn App will have automatically put the settings that gives the best quality.
Leave the *advanced* stuff alone, choose what format you want and hit the burn button :)
I use Burn to d a lot of my burning tasks and it does a great job.
Video Perfect :)

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Merged threads...similar topics.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I want to burn some music onto disc for posterity though I would also like to listen to the music whenever I choose. It seems that if I want the best and unchanged quality I must create a data cd and if I want to listen to the music through a stereo then burn a second disc as an audio cd. correct?

No. Your music (I have no idea what format it's in) in iTunes will be converted to a LOSSLESS codec during the Audio CD process so there is NO loss or compromise of quality whatsoever.

I would like to know the best settings to burn an audio cd.

There no "settings" for an Audio CD. It's a standard format, no customization. Google it if you want the full technical specs.

Will an mp3 cd have better quality?

No. If the music is not already in MP3 file format (ie heavily compressed), then it will get substantially WORSE being converted to MP3. If it is in MP3 format, then nothing will change.

"Memory" refers to RAM. Discs don't have RAM. You mean space. Yes, a higher bitrate will take up more space. But again, if your music is already in a compressed format, changing the bitrate on an MP3 disc will do *nothing.* It does not magically re-imbue your compressed files with more quality.

If the files are presently in an UNCOMPRESSED format, then changing the bitrate on an MP3 disc will help (higher bitrates obviously sounding better), but you are still taking an uncompressed file and turning it into a HEAVILY compressed file so you will still lose sound quality by making an MP3 disc.

I read burning at 4x speed may be best or is this just dvd? why is this?

First, don't believe everything you read on the internet. :)

Second, older burners are less prone to errors if they burn at the slower speeds. This is also true for video burning. Modern burners this is not really an issue.

Burn an Audio CD. There is no higher standard unless you count DVD-Audio which is an entirely different, incompatible and unrelated format generally intended for 5.1 and higher multi-channel sound.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info!

Simply... burning an audio cd will not cause any quality loss and so there is no need for creating a data cd for holding music unless of course to hold more files. correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.