Should i go iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello everyone, for a while now I have been considering picking up a used ipad (most likely trading a spare PC for it) but am starting to wonder what main advantages there are to having one. I already have the 4S which is basically the ipad but smaller so i don't know what I would really gain. I hear it's good for surfing the web but I have my macbook for that, and as far as watching movies go I either watch them on my macbook or on my G4 desktop. And all the books that I read are hard copies. I am also almost always with my laptop or phone so i just don't know what i would miss out on. The main thing that I would consider getting one for is photography since i believe there are adapters that let you connect an SD car to the ipad but would that really be worth it? Is there anything I can benefit from getting one as a highschool student, and photographer? I want to get one but I really don't think i need one. Thanks for your advice.

C

chas_m

I can only tell you about my own experience.

From almost the very day I got the iPad, my notebook became a "work" machine and my iPad because my "pleasure" machine. I use the iPad nearly exclusively for e-mail, for casual surfing, for watching videos, for looking at photos, playing games and other "leisure" activities. I almost never use my notebook for this anymore.

The iPad, being lighter and lending itself much more to being both portable and couch-or-recliner use, brought a whole new experience to these tasks since I didn't have to either a) find a desk or b) assume the notebook position to use it. It's hard to describe in text but the experience is WHOLLY different to the traditional use of "a computer."

In particular, watching videos with headphones on an iPad is just SO much more pleasurable than watching them on computer, and if you throw an Apple TV into the mix you can just "toss" videos from the iPad to the Apple TV and its connected HDTV effortlessly. It's one of those moments when you realise you really are living in the 21st century (ie doing something nearly unimaginable in the 20th century, never mind cheap and easy!).

I personally also now prefer to read books on the iPad (I was previously pro-paper). I can spend HOURS gazing at photo websites or my own collection on the iPad. It's just great and has really changed my relationship with my notebook (my main computer) completely, not to mention giving me more reasons to read magazines, books and watch videos or play casual games.

I should also add that I no longer feel the need to bring my notebook with me on personal trips, which saves several pounds of gear compared to the iPad. Somehow the device gives you a MUCH greater sense of freedom (particularly with its long battery and option for 3G) than a notebook does.

I also enjoy getting questions about it whenever I'm out in public and showing it off to people who are always quite amazed by the versatility. Throw in a Bluetooth keyboard and it makes an IDEAL creative writing tool thanks to its size and option for vertical ("paper like") orientation.

Hopefully that will answer your question.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Thanks, that seems to help a bit. I think I'll try and see if I can get one and if I don't use it I can always sell it and buy a used MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to wait a bit before buying an iPad. Version 3 should appear sometime this Spring. Keep on the lookout for rumors in our rumors forum. Although they're rumors, they're usually from a reliable source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Im stuck in the same boat as you. I want one but can't necessarily justify a need for one. And I just got my MBP and love it:)

Reaction score
You might want to wait a bit before buying an iPad. Version 3 should appear sometime this Spring. Keep on the lookout for rumors in our rumors forum. Although they're rumors, they're usually from a reliable source.

this! just wait a little longer and get the new one :)

C

chas_m

Although it is expected in the spring, there is NO GUARANTEE this will actually happen.

For four years, a new iPhone came out in the early summer. Then it didn't. Apple doesn't think much of "traditions" or "expected" timetables set by others.

I personally would be surprised if they pushed it back, but ever since they quit MacWorld they've been VERY MUCH "it'll be ready when its ready!" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I'm a photographer. When I bought my original iPad I was curious how it would benefit my photography and other interests. I was so completely swept away by the iPad's versatility that I sold my custom desktop PC and two Windows based laptops. I now own a 21.5" iMac with 16Gig of RAM. I use Photoshop CS5 and a slew of plug-in applications to process my photos. Once finished I upload my finished pictures to SmugMug, a professional site with unlimited storage and no limit to the size of the individual photos. I also have over 100 music CDs uploaded to Amazon's Cloud Player for free. I have 38 books stored at Amazon.com that are easily readable on my iPad.

Cloud storage allows me to use my iPad as a source tool to retrieve photos, music, books and movies to a device that has 2-3 times the battery life of any laptop, providing quality resolution and the ability to flip the screen to show viewers, including photographic customers and email them copies in seconds.

I make purchases for all this media on the iPad at any wi-fi hotspot. There are too many to mention in Portland, OR where I live. We're know as Silicon Forest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
How did you get 64gig of ram in your iMac?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
How did you get 64gig of ram in your iMac?!

My mistake, it should have read 16gig not 64gig. I removed the original 2 gig and had a local Mac store install 4 4gig modules.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.