2008 Black Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
Hello everybody. I am a senior in high school and I need to start thinking about getting a laptop for myself. I am thinking about buying a used 2008 Macbook with 2.4 ghz core 2 duo processor, and 4 gigs of ram. Is it worth saving $1000+ on the used mac, or should I go for a new Macbook Air? Does anybody own/has owned the 2008 Macbook and would suggest getting it? Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
Well I think I only get $50 off for an education discount, and I can get the same model from the apple refurbished page for less on ebay. I figured for what I'm going to be using it for, the 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo will be more than suitable, especially since I can upgrade it to Lion. I found one on ebay for $400 with an external 250 gig hard drive.

Yeah my dad has always been into mac computers, and I've had the privilege of inheriting most of them. The Centris has always been my favorite for gaming: Marathon, Warcraft, Glider, etc. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I found one on ebay for $400 with an external 250 gig hard drive.

Now that is a MUCH better deal than paying $1000 for it as you originally mentioned. For that price, and if you feel comfortable with buying off Ebay, I'd say by all means go for it. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just purchased a Macbook with 4GB RAM. It's very good for most things and probably adequate for your usage.

$400 for a 2008 is a pretty good price for sure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Finally retiring the old iBook Dennis? ;)

The iBook will be my backup or if I am using the Macbook for a project and need another computer and not my iPad! :D

It still works like the day I bought it. It's nice though to have the Macbook with compatibility with the latest OS and Apps and also for Windows as I want to take it with me on service calls and only take ONE machine. :D

Got a great deal on it. Santa Rosa Macbook White, 4GB RaM and it's MINT. Not one crack. All DVD's and even apple stickers. $350.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
It depends on weather you want to replace the macbook on ebay in a year or 2. You could play it safe and get a new macbook and have it for the 7 years or so thats how old mine is and still counting. So its up to you i personally would get a new macbook it would prevent frustration.

C

chas_m

phalanx: I own a Black Macbook (typing on it right now in fact) and I love it to pieces BUT:

1. There's no way on this planet it's worth anything like $1,000. Not even half that.

2. The video chipset in these things is DEFINITELY the Achilles Heel. Don't plan on playing any kind of games other than the most casual. Even Google Earth is a challenge (though it does work).

The MBA is in EVERY conceivably way except hard drive space and Firewire ports a vastly better idea for $1K.

OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow thanks for all the input! Well I indeed bought a 2008 Macbook, and will be receiving it January 13-20th. Free shipping, 30 day return policy. Decided I would try it out ;). Will let you know what I think-cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I just received a 2008 Black Macbook for $350 with 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB and Lion. That little black Macbook is sweet.

OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got it today, it's everything I could have hoped for. Even came with Lion! Very pleased, thank you all for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I just got it today, it's everything I could have hoped for. Even came with Lion! Very pleased, thank you all for your advice.

Just wanted to say you will be happy with your purchase!! My friend has that exact model and its still thriving today lol! Only thing that may become a bottleneck for you is the graphics card since it has integrated memory usage and not its own RAM. Other then that the machine will be AWESOME for your first laptop purchase! Congrats!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.