• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

inserting Still Image in iMovie 2011

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to insert a still image into a video in iMovie 2011. Basically, I'd like to insert a slide (picture) over the voice of the video. I'd like to keep the audio, but want the image to replace the video picture. Is there a way to do this? It appears that the insert options don't allow this to happen.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Drop the image on top of the video clip, and then choose Cutaway from the pop-up menu. You will see your image, but get the audio from the video.

C

chas_m

MightyGem forgot to add "right-click or control-click on the video clip," in the middle of his instructions. Just in case it wasn't obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
MightyGem forgot to add "right-click or control-click on the video clip,"
Why?? I don't have to do that. Just drag and drop a photo onto the clip in a Project. This causes a pop up menu to appear, and then just click on Cutaway(or whatever option that you want)

C

chas_m

My bad, you are right. I was thinking of a clip that's already been inserted. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's OK. Thought I was missing something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.