.DS_Store desktop icon issue

Reaction score
After rebooting my mac book pro, I now have an icon .DS_Store that has appeared on my desktop. Every time I delete it, it comes back within a few seconds.
How can I get rid of it? It has not been there before.
Have been through the settings etc and can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You need to turn off show hidden files.

Reaction score
Similar problem - similar answer? I scanned a jpeg image onto my desktop for use. I have deleted its content from 'images' in Finder but am unable to delete the icon on the desktop.
Eric

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have show hidden files enabled. .DS_Store is a bit like desktop.ini, if you have show hidden enabled, you will see it. You can delete it all you want, it'll make more.

This is working 100% as designed.

Reaction score
The icon stays on the desktop but does not appear in the list of items when I look at Desktop items in Finder.
I've called it into view in Finder and this allowed me to move it to trash but the icon stays on the desktop and returns to it location wherever I try to position it elsewhere.
Eric

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one more time.

TURN OFF SHOW HIDDEN FILES

Reaction score
Mike,
I can assure you that if I could see or find the command for hidden files I would have used it! We had a comedy programme where one of the catchphrases was ' I will only say this once' - of course it was repeated many times.
If you can guide me to the command so that I can use it I would be very grateful.
Eric

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.