External drive shared with airport extreme as timemachine

Reaction score
Hi !!

I bought an 2TB external HD today and i plugged it in to my Airport Extreme.

I want it to be my "time capsule" and shared exter HD

I tried to configure my time machine but it won't let me chose the external HD as time capsule. i only have an instal for windows :Angry-Tongue: for the HD so i can't get it together, i can't take a backup !!

WHO CAN HELP ME PLS???

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How is the drive formatted? I am using an external drive attached to a Time Capsule for my Time machine backups. I think it is expecting the drive to be formatted as HFS+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, won't work if not HFS+

OP
G
Reaction score
its formatted FAT 32, the thing is its hooked on to my airport express and i can't change it unless i hook it up to my iMac .... i'll check it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its formatted FAT 32, the thing is its hooked on to my airport express and i can't change it unless i hook it up to my iMac .... i'll check it out

The Airport Express can not share drives, the Airport Extreme can. I do not believe you can utilize FAT32 at all for time machine backups

OP
G
Reaction score
i have an extreme but i just can see the drive put stuff on it but can't format it over the extreme and can't use it as time machine

so i have to format a part of the disk as HFS+ and then i should be able to see and select it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In timemachine? Yep. I have an external drive (attached to an Airport Extreme) formatted in both FAT32 and HFS+, the HFS+ partitions are available for timemachine.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.