i want to replace my 6month old macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.3 GHz, 4gb ram, OS 10.6.8. iPhone 3g, iPad 16GB WiFi
hi.
i want to replace my macbook pro, because of the problems i'm experiencing for 6months. I attempted fixing it once (they replaced the motherboard). But problems continue. now i want to replace it with a new one, but i'm not sure if they will, because i've been using it for 6months. Any ideas?

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi.
i want to replace my macbook pro, because of the problems i'm experiencing for 6months. I attempted fixing it once (they replaced the motherboard). But problems continue. now i want to replace it with a new one, but i'm not sure if they will, because i've been using it for 6months. Any ideas?

Thank you.

If you're still having problems (and you have Applecare remaining...which you should if it was a new computer...you get 12 months of Applecare)...keep taking it back to Apple until it's fixed!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. If the problems are related to a liquid spill...then that's a totally different problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't want to get it fixed, i fixed it once. they changed the motherboard. i want to replace it.:)?

there's no liquid spill, or drop / misuse etc. The problem was a damaging motherboard (not related with me). They changed it, but same problems started to occur again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't want to get it fixed, i fixed it once. they changed the motherboard. i want to replace it.:)?

I understand that! But your initial post says that the problems continue. You really don't have any other option than to let Apple continue to fix it. If after a number of tries (not just once) Apple cannot fix the problem...sometimes they will replace it with a new unit.

Your only real option is to continue to let Apple attempt to fix it...until they give up (or it gets fixed). Your only other options are to:

- throw the computer in the trash & buy another one
- sell it on e-Bay for whatever cash you can get

Since those two options are not realistic...you have to continue working with Apple until they fix it or replace it.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the issues with the computer?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slowness! (takes a minute or two, to open a photo in preview. can't shut down applications, i have to force quit everything)
graphical issues. (screen freezes)
loud noise, too much heat.

these were my problems before they changed the motherboard, but they started again, a month after i got it back from the service.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slowness! (takes a minute or two, to open a photo in preview. can't shut down applications, i have to force quit everything)
graphical issues. (screen freezes)
loud noise, too much heat.

these were my problems before they changed the motherboard, but they started again, a month after i got it back from the service.

Those "problems" may not be hardware related...see the "Beachballs" link in my signature. Most of those problems (assuming there's not an actually hardware problem with the computer) can be eliminated via careful user practices.

How much ram do you have...and how full is your hard drive?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
available: 343.69 GB

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
available: 343.69 GB

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Thanks for the info. With those specs. you should be fine.:)

Unless there's truly a hardware issue (Apple already looked at it once)...the problems you're experiencing I think can be solved via adjusting user habits (did you read the "Beachballs" link in my signature).

I would also add...that if user habits are the issue...getting another computer would not solve anything.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i never had any of these issues with my older mac (which i used for 6years). so i wouldn't think they're because of my using habits:)

i read the beachballs article.
for instance; the apps that are active now are safari, photoshop, itunes.
I'm a photo/video artist and while i was buying i was told that i can edit 3 movies in finalcut, edit pictures in photoshop, and surf the web while listening my music all together at the same time without any slowness. in fact the apple guy tried to convince me to buy 2.2Ghz, because i wont need 2.3 :)
but now, i can't even import a photo to ps without a nervous breakdown!
i don't know what, but something is obviously wrong not related with me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a photo/video artist and while i was buying i was told that i can edit 3 movies in final cut, edit pictures in photoshop, and surf the web while listening my music all together at the same time without any slowness. in fact the apple guy tried to convince me to buy 2.2Ghz, because i wont need 2.3

What you described above is some fairly heavy usage especially if all that is going on at the same time. After reading your reply, it's my opinion your machine is under-powered for what you're using it for. Result: Slowness.

The first thing to try is maxing out the memory in that machine. I believe your machine can take up to 8 GB (perhaps more, I would need the exact year and model number).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
version 10.6.8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i never had any of these issues with my older mac (which i used for 6years). so i wouldn't think they're because of my using habits:)

- What model Mac did you have before?
- What OS version were you running on it?
- How much ram did it have?
- Were you using this previous computer in exactly the same way as your new computer?

I'm just throwing out ideas/suggestions based on what I hear...so that all possibilities are considered. There really are only two possibilities for the problem:

1. There truly is a hardware problem with this computer (thus you MUST keep going back to Apple to fix it).
2. Certain user habits are causing the issues...and getting another computer will not resolve this.

If you feel that your MacBook Pro definitely has a hardware problem...you got to keep going back to Apple.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I definitely agree with what "chscag" mentioned above:)...more ram may help with your situation ("Beachballs" link mentions this)...especially considering the photo/video apps. you're running.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very heavy work indeed for a MacBook.

For use with photo and video editing, purchased a Quad Core Mac Pro with 16GB of memory. Pretty heavy stuff what you describe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacBookPro8,2
version 10.6.8

Your machine can take 16 GB of memory. That will be an expensive upgrade, however. You would have to use 2 x 8 GB modules which are fairly expensive. I would think that 8 GB should give you a nice boost. 4 GB modules are less expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.