• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who else has cut the cable cord?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I've cut the cord about 6 months ago. I have over-the-air HD (being in between Tampa and Orlando, Florida, my indoor HD antenna picked up 62 channels), Netflix and Hulu+. Went from about $150 per month to about $60 a month (internet, netflix and hulu).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I would have to agree with you. It cost a lot of money to just get the bare minimum these days with what the cable companies are offering. I know we are getting ripped off because we are spending too much money and we don't even get the good things. But the internet is a lot cheaper, and most things can be found on the internet. Like netflix. You can spend $16.00 a month and you have access to every show ever made. Why do I say $16.00 and the commercial says $8.00? I say that because if you truly want everything you need to spend $8.00 more a month to get DVD's. So what they say is not all true. But that and internet, you still save yourself a lot of money. And it is well worth it.

I would also agree that landline phones are getting outdated. Though they are good in some cases, emergency cases, if you have the internet, you also have a FREE phone. Yes, Google voice is free calls and text to everyone in the USA. And it can be used with your smartphone. Why use both? Why not.

I know when I move out, and am living on my own, that some services I will not be using, like cable, and landline. A computer is all people really need these days. And I love the computer.

Reaction score
Haven't had cable for 10 years

Way too expensive for what you get. We joined netflix about five years back and that's all we need.

We're just now into season 3 of the Sopranos. And same with The Wire.

I can't imagine ever paying for cable again, although I do think Stephen Colbert alone would justify the cost.

Considering Apple TV for the benefit of video on demand, but I'm betting Netflix will have that before long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Thing is...yes, the Internet is cheaper, but what about bandwidth limits?? I totally get the stream-online (or even download for later viewing) thing, but how much watching could I do before I use my 150-gig-a-month limit that I'm given?? I don't stream ANYTHING except maybe an occasional YouTube video and I use 20 gigabytes a month...

Reaction score
I'd ditch cable but way to many of the programs I watch are on no streaming service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I ditched cable 2.5 ears ago and haven't looked back. I put an antenna up in my 3rd floor, I have a line of sight over the houses/buildings towards our cn tower and beyond and get probably about 12 channels or more, full HD better quality than cable. And then, there's appleTV, and netflix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
I don't watch television, at all. My TV exists solely for gaming and watching anime. When I game, it's usually my PS2, or xbox 360. For anime, I bought a Mini Display to HDMI cord at the Apple store and stream it from my macbook on the internet. It's awesome because I can watch anime on the television screen and work on the other with the extended desktop. The last time I turned on cable, was when? I'm lucky, because it comes paid for with my apartment rent, but yeah, I don't usually have time to sit down and watch MTV or cartoons all day long, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I retired last July and am existing on just Social Security checks. I have Comcast's very basic TV service and their 12 Mips broadband. I'm anxiously awaiting the merger between Imacs and online TV service to cancel cable altogether. Before moving to my present apartment complex an outside antenna got me plenty of TV channels in HD. Now, I live in a low spot where an external antenna won't pick up anything. I subscribe to Netflix DVD rental service, two at a time, unlimited at $12 a month. I manage at least 12 movies a month for my $12 fee. I watch sports on network TV and Espn3 for college sports online. I'm convinced that the move to TV on the internet is close at hand. When your income is under $1400 a month you can't live high on the hog. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.