How to clean outside aluminum shell of MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I tried a dab of water and a washcloth to get some fingerprints off the outside aluminum shell on a new MacBook Pro, but it left a worse smudge. So what's the best way to clean it (specifically, the "lid" - where the glowing Apple logo is)?

Reaction score
what i do is i get a bit of nail varnish remover and a bit of toiler paper and rub onto the surface.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would only use this method with EXTREME caution! Nail polish remover contains acetone (actually almost all acetone)...and acetone & plastic DO NOT mix. Get acetone on plastic...and you're looking for big cosmetic problems.

Although acetone will not harm the metal exterior of MacBook Pro's...it will react with the plastic Apple symbol/logo on the lid...and acetone will also react with any other sort of plastic surface/part on the computer. Acetone will "melt"/soften/dissolve plastics...and you don't want this.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I think rubbing alcohol would be a safer alternative...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
NEVERNEVERNEVER acetone

Microfiber cloth and a spritz of your favorite glass cleaner. Same thing I do for the 27" monitor and the 15 and 11" screens on my MacBooks.

If you drag it through oil and grease or something equally heinous, a spritz of Krud Kutter and the microfiber.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the same cleaner that works for automobile aluminum finishes. I use that and it works great. It's mild and cleans - polishes at the same time. Check in AutoZone or O'Reilly's for a bottle. Around $8.00 or $9.00.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use the same cleaner that works for automobile aluminum finishes. I use that and it works great. It's mild and cleans - polishes at the same time. Check in AutoZone or O'Reilly's for a bottle. Around $8.00 or $9.00.

I got a jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and used some on a watermark on the lid of my MBP. After rubbing it in a circle for about 2 minutes, it did not turn black as directions said. Nervously, I just rubbed it off and it left a watermark-looking spot. Do you polish the entire lid or just spots?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do the entire case. The same for the iMac - all along the aluminum bezel front and back. Works great. But take note, the stuff I use is a liquid not a wax, nor is it abrasive. The stuff you used probably needs to be buffed off and yes, you should do the entire case.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do the entire case. The same for the iMac - all along the aluminum bezel front and back. Works great. But take note, the stuff I use is a liquid not a wax, nor is it abrasive. The stuff you used probably needs to be buffed off and yes, you should do the entire case.

Oh, ok. So yours is a liquid comparable to like Windex? Because I found a bottle of polish, but it's the creamy kind and it says you have to buff out. When it wasn't turning black, I determined maybe it wasn't the right surface so if there's a different kind out there I'd like to try that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got a jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and used some on a watermark on the lid of my MBP. After rubbing it in a circle for about 2 minutes, it did not turn black as directions said. Nervously, I just rubbed it off and it left a watermark-looking spot. Do you polish the entire lid or just spots?

Let me give you a bit of a warning. I would be very cautious doing what you mentioned doing with the "Mother's Aluminum Polish"...which was "rubbing in a circle for about 2 minutes!!!"

The MacBook Pro case/housing has a "brushed" aluminum finish. If you rub in a circle for too long in one spot...what you actually will start to do is reduce the amount of "brushed finish"...and start to make it smooth. Thus instead of "cleaning" your MBP (which seems to be the goal)...you will end up permanently modifying the metal finish of the MacBook Pro...leaving a spot that WON'T match the rest of the MBP's case.

If (what you mentioned) a "watermark-looking spot" has formed where you "rubbed in a circle for 2 minutes"...I'm afraid that you may have already permanently altered the exterior of your MBP...which may be worse than what you started with!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.