How To Clean (Whiten) iMac G4 Case?

Reaction score
How To Clean (Whiten) iMac G4 Case?

I have just bought an old iMac g4 and it is looking rather discolour and I wanted to find a way to make it look as new as possible! I have done some research and seen 3 ideas but I wanted opinions or better ideas if possible. The ones I have seen are:

1. Use Mr Cleans Magic Eraser, but I don't know what the product is or how to use it.

2. Someone said they applied concentrated bleach on cotton wool buds and this made it look like new but i would be abit cautious without propa guidelines.

3. It was said that window cleaner would work but I think that is well too week to clean it I feel it needs to be whitened or de-stained rather than cleaned.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F AndiWhitts.

1st and foremost ill stay away from bleach no matter how diluted we are speaking. Likin it to nail polish remover on a new car . . . . .

2nd as far as i know, unless you are from the US and maybe some European Countries i think Mr Cleans Magic Eraser is more for them.

For me and when i use to have it White Macbook was a Moist Soft Rag with a new chemical free micro micro spray i have recently found seems to do the trick for me. Stay away from any amount of liquid what so ever as even the littlest amount getting into the internals just isn't cool :)
Using the least harshest of cleaner you can given time will remove or de-stain it for you. No need to use harsh stuff

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply.

'2nd as far as i know, unless you are from the US and maybe some European Countries i think Mr Cleans Magic Eraser is more for them.'

I can get them off eBay just need to know if they work and what exactly it is, everywhere seems to say they do the job but no instructions or descriptions.

'Moist Soft Rag with a new chemical free micro micro spray'

What is the spray you mean?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Start with soap & water (damp rag)...you could also try scrubbing lightly with the "rougher" side of one of these:

images

images

The trick is not to use anything more "aggressive" than necessary (the cleaner and the scrubber).

- Nick

p.s. Sorry for the web address on the photos...no photos available without it!:(

OP
A
Reaction score
Start with soap & water (damp rag)...you could also try scrubbing lightly with the "rougher" side of one of these:

images

images

The trick is not to use anything more "aggressive" than necessary (the cleaner and the scrubber).

- Nick

p.s. Sorry for the web address on the photos...no photos available without it!:(

Yeah I'm thinking of doing that but don't want to scratch it, I'll try it abit on the back but someone said to use toothpaste as it has whitening properties and polishes.

And no worries about the website advertisement, sponge/scourers must be the new billboards!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
'Moist Soft Rag with a new chemical free micro micro spray'

What is the spray you mean?

Thanks.

I will post what it is once i return home in a couple of days. But off the bat, i got it from a organic health food shop. It has a couple of ingredients in it and was initially bout as a screen cleaner. I took it further and use it to clean my whole machine. What i like is the micro micro spay it has. Very little chance of over spray/liquid getting into the keyboard because of the spray.

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah I'm thinking of doing that but don't want to scratch it, I'll try it abit on the back but someone said to use toothpaste as it has whitening properties and polishes.

If you have one of these sponges...use the softer side first. If that's not good enough...then use the rougher side very lightly.

I have lots of old Mac's that I've done this with...and everything is fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Have to say Ive used gel type soft scrub...it has bleach in it. Used mostly on towers. Also used Goo Gone to remove stickers and glue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'06 17" iMac 2GHZ C2D 2GB 160GB OSX 10.6 Win7 '05 eMac 1.42GHZ 1.5GB RAM 80GB OSX 10.5 iBook G4 1.07
I've used bleach to get set-in sharpie off of my ibook and then used my fingers to rub it in, then a rough dry dishrag to scrub then used oxyclean clear liquid to make sure its all cleaned off...Long as you make sure its not on too long, you should be fine...and don't use too much!! If anyone has had to remove old sharpie stains from an ibook, you'll know how they stick!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.