Hotway external DVD drive not working on my Mac 10.6.3

Reaction score
Hi - I've just bought a Hotway external DVD drive (HC2-SU2) which claims to be Mac compatible.

When I connect to my USB nothing happens.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Darren
:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Maybe you should try running software update and see if that helps?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to run software update. An external USB DVD drive will not show up on the desktop until you put a CD or DVD in it. You're running Mac OS X not Windows. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to run software update. An external USB DVD drive will not show up on the desktop until you put a CD or DVD in it. You're running Mac OS X not Windows. :)

But wouldn't it show up in disk utility or under USB devices?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But wouldn't it show up in disk utility or under USB devices?

Yes it would but that's not what he said....

When I connect to my USB nothing happens.

Usually that means it's not showing up on the desktop - which it won't until you put a disk in it. Same thing happens with a USB floppy drive. The drive doesn't show up on the desktop until you place a floppy in it to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it would but that's not what he said....

Usually that means it's not showing up on the desktop - which it won't until you put a disk in it. Same thing happens with a USB floppy drive. The drive doesn't show up on the desktop until you place a floppy in it to read.

I guess I just assumed when the OP said "Nothing happens" they would've checked to see if the drive was showing up in disk utility. My mistake.. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess I just assumed when the OP said "Nothing happens" they would've checked to see if the drive was showing up in disk utility. My mistake.. :p

A lot of people accustomed to Windows get a Mac and plug things in and when there is no sounds and things flashing, they feel it's not working and do not even try a DVD in the drive! :D

I agree though, 10.6.2 should have been updated AGES ago! :D So you suggesting him to update can't hurt but I doubt that is his issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
But I know I'm running a Mac OS and that wasn't the issue.
The drive wasn't responding at all and the content wasn't showing in Finder even when I inserted a disc.
Anyway solved the problem with Hotway's help.

I was connecting via a USB hub and needed to connect direct to the Mac.
Now it works.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Darren

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you resolved it. That's the one thing I forgot to mention, USB hubs between devices such as an external floppy or optical drive do not work. The reason is because the media has to be inserted before the device mounts and the hub prevents it. Have fun and visit often. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it a good Powered USB Hub it should work. The unpowered ones won't with most drives. I have a 7-Port Belkin and a 7-Port one from Target, both powered and every drive I plug in works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.