Show Info crashes Finder.

S

sugoruyo

Hi all.

Sorry if this all has come up before.
When I'm looking at Finder items like desktop icons and try to get some info on 'em the Show Info command causes Finder to crash and restart. Can anyone shed some light?

OP
S

sugoruyo

yep. no luck. also deleted finder perfs from library. ran Yasu and MacJanitor. Cleaned caches by hand. Reset PRAM. Nothing. It just crashes. :?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You probably deleted the com.apple.finder.plist already, so try deleting the com.apple.desktop.plist.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean to underestimate you or anything, but have you restarted the computer, right? ;)

OP
S

sugoruyo

Well just reset-nvram and still no luck. Anyone? I'm at a loss and I need to be able to see that info. It's rather time-critical.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have TinkerTool installed by chance?

OP
S

sugoruyo

Tinkerwhat? what is that?
I suppose it has to do with tinkering under the tiger's hood. I've run Onyx once and checked out the options. Only tinkering I've done to Tiger is making the dock use the suck effect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you have tried everything else, how about doing an Archive and Intstall and see if maybe something in the OS is damaged. If you use Archive and Intall you will not loose any of your settings or files. If it still does it, I wonder if it's your RAM? I have never had that problem here with either Panther or Tiger on any of my G4 Macs. I also have a Mini 1.25 GHZ. Do you get any other crashes or Kernal Panics at all? Just trying to figure this out for you.

OP
S

sugoruyo

no kernel panics. other crashes included activity monitor not starting which came back on its own.
also something that is not fixed yet is the keyboard/mouse prefpane not coming up.

I was thinking of installing linux alongside tiger. i don't have an ilife disk though. will it install when i set the new tiger up?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you do an Archive and Install of Tiger everything you have installed now will be there and work. If you mean you do not even have iLife as yet, sure, install it later. Was not quite sure on your wording.

OP
S

sugoruyo

I got the mini loaded with panther + ilife and upgraded to tiger from an upgrade dvd given to me in the package.
I have no ilife disc and i'm not sure it's in the os disc so i'm kinda wodnering if i format will i lose ilife?

also how much space does archive&install take? what does it save (or where do i get more info on that?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.