Questions about previously owned MacBook (white 2007)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4, iPad 2, MacBook 13.3" white (2007 model)
I recently got a used MacBook and have many questions as a first time MacBook owner. I have other apple products (iPhone 4 and iPad) so I am familiar with some apple features, however, since the computer was owned previously I am unsure how to "make it my own". I have submitted a request to re-register the computer in my name, since it was still listed as the previous owner.

So, my first question follows: How can I clean out the memory myself (or is that even possible)? I recently attempted to run the downloaded trial of Microsoft Word and I was alerted that there was "not enough memory or disc space to run Microsoft Word".

Any help/tips that can help me with transitioning to my new MacBook would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You seriously need to free up some Hard Drive space. Start looking around for apps, documents, photos, and really anything else you don't need. Drag them into the trash and empty it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have checked the trash, iphoto, documents, etc. and have not found anything. The guy told me when I bought it that he cleaned out the hard drive, but apparently it is still around somewhere. Where should I begin looking for these files? I'm still getting adjusted from using a PC to the MacBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I have checked the trash, iphoto, documents, etc. and have not found anything. The guy told me when I bought it that he cleaned out the hard drive, but apparently it is still around somewhere. Where should I begin looking for these files? I'm still getting adjusted from using a PC to the MacBook...

Right click your "Macintosh HD" icon on your desktop, and click "Get Info". Post back here your available space, how much space is used, etc.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Capacity: 74.21GB
Available: 45.48 GB
Used 28.73 on disk

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also: I attempted to run the AHT and was given an "alert": 4SNS/1/40000000:TBOT

I found the Mac OS X Install disc so I attempted to run the test as suggested on the apple site, but I guess there was a problem. The only outlets I had plugged in the computer was the actual battery cord, which I must leave in because the computer will not stay powered on with out it (that's a whole new post...)

Any suggestions? I have made a genius bar appt. for this Friday so hopefully this time around I'll get some suggestions..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Get the Macbox set and when your putting in the snow leopard go to utilities then data erase than the computer will be truly factory restored and it will be like it just came out of the box.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put in the disc and looked under utilities and all the applications came up...I didn't see data erase? I saw "disk utilities" and I attempted to erase there, but a window came up saying there were other documents that needed to be erased to free up space?

I am completely comfortable saying I don't know what else to do with this machine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you select your hardrive on disk utilities

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I found the OS X disc 1, but I dont have disc 2 so I cant "erase and install" OS X... kinda bummed now. Other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of mac osx are you running now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then purchase the macbox set and install the snow leopard disc then once its installed restart your computer than put the snow leopard disc in in and then go to utilities then select english then ignore the installation because you've already installed it and then on the top bar apple menue then select utilities then select disc utilities. Now select your hard drive then go to erase after that restart then reinstall the discs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.