upgrading powermac g4 to snowleopard ??

Reaction score
hello

i currently have leopard 10.5.8 on my powermac g4 and i want upgrade it to snow leopard to run ilife 09 and garage band

my mac info as follows

processor: dual 450mhz powerpc g4
ram 1.5 gb sdram
bus speed: 100ghz
number cpu 2

will my mac be able to handle the upgrade, i have snow leopard on dvd rom

please help :) :'(

C

chas_m

Not going to happen. Snow Leopard is for Intel processors ONLY, and your (ancient by computer standards) machine cannot be upgraded to an Intel processor.

So you can toss that copy of Snow Leopard you have, it won't do you any good.

The solution is to buy a new(er) Intel-based Mac. You present machine is at least 11 years old if your description is accurate.

OP
P
Reaction score
oh ok thanks

is the anyway of me running ilife on this mac or even just garage band ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You will have to get hold of an older version, but iLife should run fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks i was thinking ilife 06

i was thinking of downloading ifile 06 but then again i dont know how well it would run on leopard 10.5 or would it be best to revert bak to tiger as mac is new to me im used to Microsoft. and thanks for all your help :[

OP
P
Reaction score
when i downloaded ilife it came up in a warrning box saying i need 10.7 onwards to install this also i dont think the graphics card is powerful enough to cope with some of the apps i need

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
when i downloaded ilife it came up in a warrning box saying i need 10.7 onwards to install this also i dont think the graphics card is powerful enough to cope with some of the apps i need

Sounds to me that you may have downloaded a version of iLife that is too new for your Mac. Your Mac (at best) can only run OS 10.5.8...so there's no way you're going to be able to run OS 10.7 if you cannot run OS 10.6 (no Intel cpu).

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
can i update to 10.5.8 combo ??

hello ok to make things run a little bit smoother would it be worth updating to os x 10.5.8 combo ?? or is it not worth it and also do you know of a place i an get a more up to date mac without it costing to much as im am a student :(

many thanks philip

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello ok to make things run a little bit smoother would it be worth updating to os x 10.5.8 combo ?? ...or is it not worth it

I'm not sure what you're asking. Your first post in this thread said that you already has OS 10.5.8 installed on your Powermac G4...so there would be no reason to mess with the "10.5.8 combo" installer.

...and also do you know of a place i an get a more up to date mac without it costing to much as im am a student :(

What's your budget?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm not alot only around £200 atm :(

Ahh...you must in the UK (and up late)...it must be around 3am at your location!;)

Used Mac's in the UK are pretty pricey...and I don't think that £200 will get you very much.:(

Try checking e-Bay (UK)...and get an idea what £200 will get you.:)

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

If you're actually running 10.5.8 on an 11-12 year old machine, then first of all may I say congratulations!

If you can find a LEGAL (let me repeat that, LEGAL) ie retail DVD of iLife 06, that should work. Anything newer will definitely not work. Do not go with any "download" of iLife 06, this is a frequent source of malware and is of course illegal.

I appreciate that you're a student (believe me I know all about tight budgets!) but other than the solution above, you're really going to need to move up to a newer machine (one made this century) before much longer. It doesn't have to be brand new but a lot newER than the one you've got.

As you're currently using a PowerMac I'd suggest you look for a good deal on an Intel Mac mini (2007 or later). You can retain your monitor, mouse and keyboard and should be able to find one for not a lot more than your present budget. A Core Duo or Core Solo model would be cheapest but can't be upgraded past Snow Leopard (which will put you right back in the present situation in a year or two's time) so keep an eye out for a good deal on a Core2Duo Mac mini via Craigslist or other such sites.

Good luck!

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks

Yeah it did take some work and some effort and hardware to get it as far as leopard osx 10.5.8 that why i thought maybe there was a way to make the final push to snow leopard but I have found this difficult , but maybe this is as far as I can push the power mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Yeah it did take some work and some effort and hardware to get it as far as leopard osx 10.5.8 that why i thought maybe there was a way to make the final push to snow leopard but I have found this difficult , but maybe this is as far as I can push the power mac

You cannot "push" your Powermac G4 any further...even if you wanted to. OS 10.5.8 is the "newest" OS you can install on this computer.

Let me be very clear...you CANNOT install OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or OS 10.7 (Lion) because your Powermac G4 does not have an Intel cpu (it has a G4 cpu). OS 10.6 & 10.7 require an Intel cpu.

10.5.8 is the highest you can go with this computer!

- Nick

p.s. With a Powermac G4 (450mhz)...technically you aren't even supposed to be able to run OS 10.5.8 (Leopard)...since officially from Apple you need a minimum of an 867mhz cpu. So you must have used a program like "Leopard Assist" in order to get OS 10.5.8 to install on your Powermac G4.

OP
P
Reaction score
replacing macbook 13" battery

hey

my macbook battery died after 837 cycles so i bought a new one which is now in my macbook however my macbook doesn't not seam to pick up the new battery, i know the new battery works because i have tried it a another macbook and it worked fine but just not in my mac??? i don't what it could be. :Confused:

C

chas_m

hey

my macbook battery died after 837 cycles so i bought a new one which is now in my macbook however my macbook doesn't not seam to pick up the new battery, i know the new battery works because i have tried it a another macbook and it worked fine but just not in my mac??? i don't what it could be. :Confused:

This is called "hijacking a thread" and is frowned upon here. I'd suggest you start a new topic to address this issue, but as a starter it sounds to me that if the battery works in other computers but not in yours, that the fault you had with the old battery may not have actually been the battery and may be a hardware fault in your Macbook (bent pin, bad connector, something of that nature).

More when you start your own thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.