Upgrading my OS to run Aperture 3 - Snow Leopard or Lion?

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 unibody Macbook. Specs are 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and running Leopard version 10.5.8. 160 GB hard drive with about 60 gigs free.

I never upgraded my OS because there wasn't a need to. I use my computer for general purposes (internet, iWork, iLife). I also use it for storing and editing photos, but I have outgrown iPhoto and I want to get Aperture 3 and Pixelmator. So now I need to upgrade my OS so I can run Aperture 3. I plan on upgrading my RAM to 4 GB as well.

Apple recommends Lion 10.7.2 for Aperture, but is my computer too old to handle Lion? Should I stick with Snow Leopard? The extra $29 doesn't matter to me either way. I just want the best performance from my 3 year old Macbook.

I'm already set on using Aperture 3. Lightroom is too expensive and I don't like Photoshop Elements as an external editor (too tedious).

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me, especially from Aperture 3 users with either operating system! Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You should be able to run Aperture 3 just fine and whether you go with Snow Leopard or Lion is up to you. In either case I would upgrade my RAM, 2 MBs isn't going to give you the performance you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Lion is really an optional update for running Aperture 3. Buy SL, test it out and see how you like it. If you don't feel the "need" to upgrade to Lion, then don't. It entirely up to you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Aperture is a resource hog to begin with. Install another 2 gigs first. I'd honestly recommend using Snow Leopard over Lion though, as it handles memory a bit differently.

Doug

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I just ordered new RAM and I'm going to run the trial versions of Aperture and Pixelmator with Snow Leopard to see how they are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.