Disk drive not working

Reaction score
While trying to get some music off of old CD's I experienced a problem with the CD/Disk (whats the correct term?) drive on my Mac Book Pro. It would make light humming noises for a few seconds, click, some more humming noises, and then spit the disk back out. Unfortunately my computer was around some young children a while ago and I think they may have shoved some paper or something into it. Are there any suggestions as to what else may be the problem and what I should do?

Also, would the Apple Hardware Test tell if there is something wrong, I have tried it and it would boot right into OSX. (sorry wrong section, didn't want to write 2 posts)

Thanks for any help I get!

Specs:
MBP 15" 2009
4GB RAM
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Disk Drive: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868
Running Snow Leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to say what might be wrong with the optical drive in your MBP. If there were paper or some other object in the drive it's likely that you would not have been able to insert the CD. The drive might just be defective. The slot loading drives in Macs seem to fail much faster than tray loaders do.

You can try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air. Blow a couple of short blasts into the drive. Cleaning disks are usually not effective.

The Apple Hardware Test won't diagnose a failing drive. It's best to replace the drive yourself if you feel up to doing it, as that will save you labor costs. You can get an idea of the procedure at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I guess I'll try the canned air thing and if not I'll try and fix it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you soo much! The canned air worked perfectly! You don't know how happy i am!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, great. Glad it worked. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.