Best Database Software for Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to start my own new business, offering business development and prospecting consultancy services to marketing agencies. For most of the last 15 years I've been doing the 'new business' function in-house and have been PC-based, using Sage's ACT! product.

Now I'm starting my own business I can choose which OS to go with and as I've always used Apple products at home, it makes sense to manage my business on Apple too.

The reason for the post is to ask for your experience using the various Mac-based database applications so I can make an informed decision about which two to AB test. Ideally I'd like to use something that gives me either multiple databases (as i'll be working for multiple clients) or at least the functionality to perform separate look-ups for each client. I'd prefer something cloud-based to eliminate the need for synching, and finally it would be great to be able to access all the info on Powerbook, iPhone and iPad too. A good looking reporting function is also important...

I've used filemaker in the past and really liked its simplicity and the reporting function on Filemaker 11 looks interesting. I've also initially checked out Daylite, Capsule and Salesforce and would love to hear user's experiences of these and any others I haven't considered!

Sorry for the long-winded post but any advice you could give would be really appreciated...

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear but I wouldn't be making business decisions based on what I use at home.

You should be finding the correct software for the business and using that along with whatever OS it runs on.

Starting a business is no easy thing at the best of times and it's even harder in the current economic climate.

I wish you every success in you venture but make decisions with your head, not your heart.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Mason, and fair point!

I should also say that I've historically always been Mac based at work too - its only recently that I've had to move over to PC as its what my current company runs. All three of my founding clients will be exclusively Mac so it makes sense.

I'm erring more towards FileMaker Pro as I have used it in the past and seems to be the best fit for my needs - single view databases for multiple clients...

C

chas_m

Although there are many choices available, Filemaker is by far the best-known dedicated database for the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.