Need Help--Itunes Library on external HDD Windows XP--new Imac--how to move

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just setting my new Imac. I want to be sure I dont do anything wrong, so I am asking for some instructions.

I have a Dell XP Laptop with a 500GB external drive--on the drive are about 200GB of music and all of my photos and videos. We have one itunes account, and wife and I each have an Iphone. (4 and 3GS respectively)

My Imac is brand new out of the box, and has 1TB disc. My thinking is I should move (somehow--this is where i need the help) all of that music and other files to new computer--set up itunes at some point (before or after the move?) after everything is working on new Imac, then reformat HDD and copy music and files back to HDD for backup purposes.

Is this the way I should do this? If so how? And, as a side question, should I update both Iphones to OS 5.1 before I do this?? The windows PC has Itunes v. 10.5.2.11 already. Itunes is not yet installed on Imac (unless it is there by default)

Supposedly Migration assistant can do this, but it creates a different user account--I do not understand what limitations this new account will create, and if i can migrate info from more than one PC onto the Imac.

I know this is alot of questions--but I am new to Mac and dont want to screw up 200GB of music in the process. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Im pretty sure you can just drag and drop.

Open finder and go to the music tab and then drag your iTunes in there and do the same for pictures and video.

Thats how I got my data from my external to my Mac and I was a Win user as well.

Someone tell me if I am wrong please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac mid 2011
moving itunes libraries

I am doing it right now. I did it through itunes home share. Enable it for the old pc and the new apple device (in my case an imac) and then enable home share. Click on my pc itunes library under shared on the new mac and then do an edit - select all - from top menu bar then when all are selected i hit the import button on bottom right in the mac itunes window.

Hope this is clear. I have 8319 songs so i think it will be going for a long time.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am doing it right now. I did it through itunes home share. Enable it for the old pc and the new apple device (in my case an imac) and then enable home share. Click on my pc itunes library under shared on the new mac and then do an edit - select all - from top menu bar then when all are selected i hit the import button on bottom right in the mac itunes window.

Hope this is clear. I have 8319 songs so i think it will be going for a long time.

Would you please let me know how this works for you? I have 23,000+ songs so it would be great if it works for you. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac mid 2011
slater it worked but it took a while because i was using home share via my wireless connection due to fact the nec card on my pc is screwed up and couldnt get into my network with an ethernet cable from it. in my case it took about 10 hours to move that much but i had 60 plus movies in there as well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.