User Name Problem Connecting from Windows 7 to Mac

Reaction score
Hi:

I am trying to connect my Windows 7 and Mac that are on the same network. On my windws machine, I can see the Mac, but when I double click to access it, I get a window to login:

1. The username I have set up on my Mac is Joe
2. Under file sharing on the mac, I have given Joe read & write access
2. On my windws 7 machine, when trying to login to access the mac, I have used "joe" and the same password as the user account on the mac, which is the exact same name and password on my windows machine.

On the windows machine, it converts the name to: windowsmachinename\joe. I have also entered macmachinename\joe.

Each time I try to login, in either direction, I get the message that I have supplied an invalid user name or password.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing to note about OS X's sharing is that by default, no user accounts will be "enabled." Here's what I mean:

smb_users.jpg

Notice that Windows (SMB) sharing is enabled but my user isn't. Check to make sure your user is enabled.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that great reply! I really appreciate your efforts, but unfortunately, I had SBM enabled for the users. Any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.