Iphoto and Ipad sync question

Reaction score
First off let me wish everyone a Happy New Year.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem I'm experiencing. I imported a few pictures into Iphoto and some needed to be cropped or have a small edit done. In Iphoto the pictures look like they kept the recent edit, but when I sync them to the Ipad it seems to copy the original photo without the edits.

If anyone has any insight your help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

C

chas_m

I have seen this bug (yes, it's a bug) in Photo Stream but not in synced photos. Any chance that you're looking at the "Photo Stream" section of your iPad's photos? (there's a line of views at the top, things like "events" and "albums" and so forth)

OP
O
Reaction score
Chas_m thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's not photo stream because I have that turned off right now. I was also poking around and noticed that after you edit a picture it seems to be kept in two different locating. Under the file menu - reveal in finder - there are modified file and original files. Wonder if somehow you can pick to sync either or.

C

chas_m

You don't. And you should be EXTREMELY CAREFUL not to move anything around in either of those folders, in fact you should stay out of the iPhoto Library altogether unless you want to see what happens when the iPhoto database gets messed up (you don't).

The "original" folder is what allows you to ALWAYS revert back to the original no matter how many edits you've made.

iPhoto is SUPPOSED to default to the "modified" folder because that is what is shown in iPhoto when syncing. When I sync my photos that's what I see.

I did a quick check of the iPhoto section of Apple's support communities page and saw nothing that related to your issue, which makes me think this is a local issue. Try repairing permissions using Disk Utility -- can't hurt, might help.

Reaction score
First off let me wish everyone a Happy New Year. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem I'm experiencing. I imported a few pictures into Iphoto and some needed to be cropped or have a small edit done. In Iphoto the pictures look like they kept the recent edit, but when I sync them to the Ipad it seems to copy the original photo without the edits. If anyone has any insight your help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
My workflow (I use Aperture but same for iPhoto I think) is this: I use Aperture's import to sort photos i want to keep from or my cameras into projects on my iMac. I created a series of albums in iPhoto in a folder called iDevice that i named House, Family, etc, so all i need to do is drag a modified version of a photo I want on my iPad from the project into one of those folders. The master is untouched in Aperture's (or iPhoto's) library, and a version stays in the project I first put it in. Then in iTunes I click on the Photos tab for each iDevice (iPad and iPhone in my case) and limit photo syncs to those albums. iTunes resizes the photos to fit the iDevice automatically when I sync the iDevice to my iMac. Very slick. The photos are stored in those same albums on each iDevice.

Are you seeing the apparent loss of edits happen using a similar workflow?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks again Chas_M help, I'll be careful to keep from poking around those folders.

Demapples that seems like a nice work flow to syncing edited photos on the ipad. I'll have to give that a try also. I'm sure Chas_m is onto something when he mentioned that when syncing it should also take photos in the modified folder.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.