Recent problem with my magsafe adapter?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off, I have a 2010 15in Macbook Pro. A couple of days ago a noticed that when I connected my magsafe adapter to my laptop, no light would turn on to signal a charge. I noticed that the brick and L-shaped tip was getting a little hot, so I figured maybe it wasn't charging due to overheating. A few hours later, I placed the charger in a well ventilated area and made sure the port was clear of any small pieces of anything that might be disrupting the connection. To my disappointment, still no charge... but after some fiddling around I got it to start charging again. The only problem that I have now is that the adapter is extremely sensitive, as the charge light will turn off with any little bump to the cord.

So, does this mean that I have a problem with my macbook, or the charger? My gut tells me that it's some type of shorting issues, but I honestly can't be sure. I don't have the opportunity to test another adapter unless I buy one, which would cost me 80$ :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
J
Reaction score
An adaptor should cost that much, but I would get a replacement as it sounds more like the adaptor, unless there is any damage to the case

$30 will get you a replacement

genuine apple macbook magsafe charger | eBay

Oh yea, I didn't really think of getting one off ebay for cheaper, and no, the macbook itself is in the great condition. I don't really move it around much. Also, I had an idea of bringing my macbook down to my Bestbuy's Apple Store. Maybe they would let me plug it into one of the chargers they use for the display.

Atleast I got it to start charging, even though the slightest jiggle will make it short out. I'll probably just keep using it this way until it permanently takes a dump, since I'm super cheap lol.

Thanks for your answer though;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.