What to Buy? 2008 MacBook Pro or Newer PC

Reaction score
This is a reposting for me taking this from another forum where I think it is PC biased. Just wanted to get other views on this.

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new laptop, well at least new to me. This is really just something to tool with, watch movies, surf the web, write resumes but in the future will turn into a work computer which I'm not quite sure what that looks look right now. Heres the catch I've always wanted a mac but could never afford one. My buddy is willing to sell his macbook pro 15" to me for ~ $700. This is a price we see others selling for from this time period, whether or not it is actually a fair value neither of us know. It's the unibody version from late 2008, 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 320 GB harddrive. I can also get a newer pc refurb for much less money, I was settling on an Asus U46E-BAL5 which has a i5 2410, 8gb ram, 750gb hard disk for $529 in my hand from new egg.

I guess the real concern, considering how disposable laptops are, how long can I expect the Mac to last given it's age and usage. My Friend is a designer and is pretty demanding on it though it has only really ever been a desktop replacement for him and does not use it much on the go. It would also come with a spare battery. Also considering the advancements in processors over the years how does an older mac compare. I know that performance wise I can get away with the macbook, but we all geek out and like to know what we are dropping our hard earned cash on and how it compares. After all this is the first time I will have ever spent money on a computer, every one I have had has been a freebie handme downs.

If I went with the pc I know I'd be trading off the larger and higher resolution screen, the os and sweet trackpad and battery life (even with a newer battery). Any input is very welcome.

Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Joe,

What sort of Macintosh or Mac OS experience do you have?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've really gotten into a mac. Was around 2008 that I last found myself using one regularly but that was on an older MacBook, maybe even still a power book, it was the aluminum chasis 15" screen but I think was purchased by my friend sometime early 2006 late 2005. It was okay but still worked better than anything I had at the time.

I'm pretty happy with wondows though am really looking to become more familiar with snow leopard or lion, that in combination with the hardware I feel that no pc can really touch a mac. I drool everytime I play with one at best buy. Maybe I'm not looking at the equally expensive pc's to drool over.

Again the biggest concern being will the macbook last? I don't want to drop all my cash and have the hard drive go in a year or something else kick the bucket on me and have a fancy doorstop. My other friends have a 2006 macbook and something just failed internally on that. That's my concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Bits will go just like any computer and any computer can fail.

My MacBooks only fail was a hard drive, but it only took about 2 hours to recover from that with a new hard drive and a Time Machine Backup.

Thje MacBook Pro should last at least 5 years, but more likely longer. My MacBook is still in great shape, and my G4 is still in use (built in 2001)

Alas, my MAC SE30 seems to have a problem, but that was made in 1989

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been a while since I've really gotten into a mac. Was around 2008 that I last found myself using one regularly but that was on an older MacBook, maybe even still a power book, it was the aluminum chasis 15" screen but I think was purchased by my friend sometime early 2006 late 2005. It was okay but still worked better than anything I had at the time.

I was asking about your Mac experience...just in case you were brand new to the Mac/Mac OS scene.

Since you seem to be interested on both Macintosh & Windows computers (not totally uncommon)...I think that you have the right strategy of purchasing an older used Mac...rather than dumping a bunch of cash into a brand new one.

As far as how long with the Mac last. Like anything...if you don't abuse it:

- spill liquid on it
- drop it
- try to open the display beyond it's limits
- run it over with a car
- etc.

...it will last a long time. If a hard drive crashes...so what...you can buy a new one for like $50-$75 bucks (cheaper used on Craig's List). All hard drives crash eventually (Windows or Mac)...they're all made by the same companies.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Right on Nick, I appreciate that.

So If the computer is in good condition, which it is, is $700 a fair price. I've seen these go for almost $1k in the seattle area and as low as $650 online. When I see $1000 on Craigslist I think there is no way that someone is getting that much for a 3 year old laptop.

I guess maybe I need to play around with it for a bit and make that call for myself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So If the computer is in good condition, which it is, is $700 a fair price. I've seen these go for almost $1k in the seattle area and as low as $650 online. When I see $1000 on Craigslist I think there is no way that someone is getting that much for a 3 year old laptop.

I think that $700 is on the steep side. I recently purchased a 2008 17" Mac Book Pro...with a faster 2.5ghz cpu, more video ram (512 vs. 256meg), and obviously a larger 17" display for $699.

Of course prices could be running a little higher in Seattle (who knows). Check what they're actually SELLING for on e-Bay (not what their listed for) to get a better idea of their value. Mac2Sell.net says it's worth $650.

Personally I'm thinking that around $600 would be a better deal for your friend's 15" MBP.:)

As far as which to buy (Mac or Windows computer)...you have experience with both...so it really comes down to which OS do you like better.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.