TextEdit.app doesnt make usable .h files.. What does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hey guys. last nite i started writting a plugin in shake, to find it simply compile errors EVERY TIME. I took code exactly from the documentation, and tried it, with about 16 RTF errors.

So wheni throw it in a .txt file and send it to a PC, it comes out with extra uneeded jumbled characters

Anything i can do guys? Id hate to send it to a PC EVERYTIME via IM to copy into notepad.

thanks in advance.

L

lil

.h as in C header file?

TextEdit may be saving in UniCode or a format the PC screws up, you can go into text Edit -> Preferences, Open/Save tab and change the plain text encoding from Automatic to something like Western windows Latin 1.

Also when you do a Save As from textEdit; ensure you have made it plain text (Format -> MAke Plain Text or command + shift _+ t) and then Save As. You can also set the encoding method for the file there too.

Vicky

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
alright maybe thats it. .h, yes as in C, but eventually it gets converted to a shake macro

Ok thats it! i jsut cant figure out how to get there EVERY TIME. By default, text edit is in RTF, but if i mess around, itll somehow open up a second window, with no ruler, thats in UTF format, which works flawlessly

EDIT: I just reopened, now its in UTF mode. THANK YOU VICKY

L

lil

You get all the options in Preferences :flower:

Glad it worked hehe, as a C/C++/ObjectiveC/PHP....... programmer I know that the encoding of a text file can often scupper compilers.

Vicky

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea i was switching in preferences and nothing was changing, which was aggervating,but now i can get back to writting my plugins. Thank vicky!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.