Seriously Needing Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4, 1GB Ram, 40GB HD, 533MHz, DVD, 2 Firewire, 2 USB, Mac os 9, Mac os x 10.4.11
OK, I'm new to MAC's and learning how to get around. I have a power mac g4 running mac OS x 10.4.11 and OS 9. I t was working fine when I got it and today I did and update of the QuickTime and safari. After the update completed my menu bar at the top(whole bar) and my desktop icons are all flashing. Nothing I open stays open for more than 3 to 5 seconds. I search on here and saw similar issues but nothing that helps. I don't have any disk for it nor do I know the admin password to get into safe mode. Can anyone please help a newbie with his mac?:Confused:

C

chas_m

How are you even able to install things without knowing an admin password?

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4, 1GB Ram, 40GB HD, 533MHz, DVD, 2 Firewire, 2 USB, Mac os 9, Mac os x 10.4.11
I really don't know. All I know is when I plugged it up and turned it on I got a message to change the date and time after that it was working just fine. Then I got that update screen to update the QuickTime which looked familiar to me because it was the same as on my windows pc. I clicked install and it did it. After the install the desktop screen icons and menu bar at top just started flashing on and off every 3 to 5 seconds. So I tried to start it in safe mode and it asked for login ID and password. Which I don't have/know.

C

chas_m

I really don't know. All I know is when I plugged it up and turned it on I got a message to change the date and time after that it was working just fine. Then I got that update screen to update the QuickTime which looked familiar to me because it was the same as on my windows pc. I clicked install and it did it. After the install the desktop screen icons and menu bar at top just started flashing on and off every 3 to 5 seconds. So I tried to start it in safe mode and it asked for login ID and password. Which I don't have/know.

This is starting to sound very much to me like you installed some malware. Was your web browser open at the time?

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was still on the APPLE website when I did the update. The update screen was the same one you see when you update safari and itunes.

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok an update. I tried doing a reset to factory settings and now after the reboot I have a blue screen with a flashing cursor & spinning wheel. Can anyone at all help? I used this:

First hold the command & S

root# /sbin/fsck -fy (don't forget the spaces)

root # /sbin/mount -uw /

root# rm /var/db/.Applesetupdone

root# Reboot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No system disc and no password?

Go back to the seller and see if you can get them.

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, there is no seller. It was going to be thrown out. It worked when I hooked it up. It started acting up when I updated quicktime.

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are the factory Specs. There is 1 gb ram a DVD installed and running mac os x 10.4.11
Introduction Date: January 9, 2001 Discontinued Date: July 18, 2001
Processor Speed: 533 MHz Processor Type: PowerPC 7410 (G4)
Details: The PowerPC G4 includes the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processor. This model could be configured with dual 533 MHz PowerPC 7410 (G4) processors.
Processors: 1 Geekbench: 356
Processor Upgrade: AGP G4 Daughtercard FPU: Integrated
System Bus Speed: 133 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 266 MHz
ROM/Firmware Type: Open Firmware ROM/Firmware Size: 1 MB
L1 Cache: 64k L2/L3 Cache: 1 MB (backside)
RAM Type: PC133 SDRAM Min. RAM Speed: 133 MHz
Details: Supports 133 MHz PC133 SDRAM (3.3v, noninterleaved, 64-bit-wide, 168-pin). Apple also noted that this model has "full 128-bit internal memory data paths".
Standard RAM: 128 MB Maximum RAM: 1.5 GB
Details: Site sponsor Other World Computing sells Power Macintosh G4 processors and memory, as well as hard drives, accessories, and other upgrades.

Also see: Actual Max RAM of All G3 & Later Macs.
Motherboard RAM: None RAM Slots: 3
Video Card: GeForce2 MX* VRAM Type: SDRAM*
Details: *By default, this model has a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with 32 MB of SDRAM. It also could be configured at the time of purchase with an ATI Radeon graphics card with 32 MB of DDR RAM or a NVIDIA GeForce3 graphics card with 64 MB of DDR RAM. The video card occupies a 4X AGP slot.
Standard VRAM: 32 MB Maximum VRAM: 32 MB*
Display Support: Single Display Resolution Support: 1920x1200
2nd Display Support: None 2nd Max. Resolution: N/A
Details: N/A
Standard Hard Drive: 40 GB (7200 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Ultra ATA/66 (ATA-5)
Standard Optical: 8X CD-RW Standard Disk: None*
Details: Apple reported that the 8X CD-RW drive "writes CD-R at 8X, writes CD-RW at 4X, and reads CD at 32X". It uses a EIDE (ATA-3) bus.

*An internal Zip 250 drive was available build-to-order.
Standard Modem: 56k v.90 Standard Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
Standard AirPort: 802.11b (Optional) Standard Bluetooth: None
USB Ports: 2 (1.1) Firewire Ports: 2 (400)
Details: USB 1.1 ports are dual channel.

Also see: Complete Ports.
Expansion Slots: 4 PCI*, AP Expansion Bays: 5 3.5"
Details: *In the default configuration, this model has four open 33 MHz 64-bit PCI slots, and a 4X AGP slot occupied by the graphics card. It also has an open AirPort (802.11b) expansion slot.

It has five 3.5" drive bays (four are internal and intended for hard drives, and one is external and intended for a Zip 250 drive). With a single hard drive and no Zip drive installed, three internal 3.5" bays and the external 3.5" bay are free. The system also has an external 5.25" drive bay occupied by the optical drive.
Incl. Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard Incl. Input: Apple Pro Mouse
Case Type: Tower Form Factor: Power Mac G4 (Graphite)
Apple Order No: M7688LL/A Apple Subfamily: Digital Audio
Apple Model No: M5183 (EMC 1862) Model ID: PowerMac3,4
Details: Please note that these identifiers refer to more than one model.

Also see: All Macs with the M5183 Model Number, the 1862 EMC Number, and the PowerMac3,4 Model Identifier.

For more about these identifiers and how to locate them on each Mac, please refer to EveryMac.com's Mac Identification section.
Battery Type: 3.6V Lithium Battery Life: N/A
Pre-Installed MacOS: 9.1 Maximum MacOS: X 10.4.11
MacOS 9 Support: Boot/Classic Mode Windows Support: Emulation Only
Details: This Power Macintosh G4 model is capable of booting MacOS 9 and using MacOS 9 applications within the MacOS X "Classic" environment.

Site sponsor OHS specializes in heavily upgraded Macs capable of running both MacOS X and MacOS 9 applications.
Dimensions: 17.0 x 8.9 x 18.4 Avg. Weight: 30.0 lbs. (13.6 kg)
Original Price: US$2199* Est. Current Retail: US$150-US$300
Details: *This model originally cost US$2199 with a single processor and US$2499 if custom configured with dual processors.

Please note that on average the estimated current retail pricing of used systems is updated twice a year (please refer to the date on the bottom of the page for the date last updated).

Photo Credit: Apple Computer.

Permalink | E-mail a Friend | Bookmark & Share | Report an Error/Typo

Mission Repair - 468x60 - Mac

Suggest an Addition | RSS | Twitter | Facebook | Join the E-mail Mailing List

<< Power Macintosh G4 (Home)

C

chas_m

I don't mean to be rude, but for a 10 year old computer I think I would budget a maximum of one hour trying to figure out what was wrong before tossing it, sorry responsibly recycling it.

OP
tribeone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I know it's ancient but I'm not the only one on here with one. Really no body has any idea other than to toss it. I truly refuse to believe its no good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.