Powerbook G4 possible pram problem?

Reaction score
I am trying to diagnose the problem with my mother's powerbook g4 12". It does not retain the time settings and apparently this also is affecting some of the programs on the computer. In a PC I would say this is a CMOS battery failure, and from what I read at first it seemed that the powerbook has a similar PRAM battery. However, when I was looking for a replacement battery, I saw something from apple saying that the 12" powerbooks did not have a battery backup (PRAM). Do they or don't they, and if they don't, what could be wrong with the powerbook?

Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Similar to the 12" iBook G4. The 12" PowerBook G4 does not have a PRAM battery. Instead, the date and time are kept by the main battery, and when that goes dead, the date resets.

That's pretty much it, don't let the battery go dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Exactly that, though you could try resetting PRAM and NVRAM, which may help/stop the issue.

To reset PRAM, restart while holding down command, option, P and R. Keep holding them down and wait for the start up chime to ring 3 times, and then release the keys and allow it to boot.

Resetting NVRAM is a little different, and is not necessary usually, but try it if PRAM reset fails.
Restart holding command, option, O and F (bit of a stretch!). Wiait for a white screen with some text to load, and then type the following commands>

reset-nvram (now hit enter)
set-defaults (hit enter)
reset-all (hit enter)

The computer will then reboot to it's start up screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.