Im making the Switch from Windows to Mac

Reaction score
Hello, i am seriously considering making the switch from my Windows PC to a ibook 12.1 inch. please tell me what the drawbacks are if you have done this, and then tell me the advantages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
the only drawback I had when I switched, is that they don't make a 12 inch ibook with a superdrive, other than that, I am sooo happy I switched, I also have a macmini as well.

OP
R
Reaction score
are there any issues when you bring your files to the mac? cause i will need to transfer jpegs, differnet types of text files, most of them are Microsoft WOrd, and some are Word. And did you miss anything from windows? Last thing, can you play online games such as Halo and Battlefield 1942 against friends at LAN parties if the all have PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you should check the spedcs for those specific games to see if there is a mac version. if there is, then you should be able to play against friends on PC's. Appleworks can usually open word and ms word documents. i would suggest buying MS Office for Mac. it is great. there are other alternatives to using MS for mac. JPG's and music files will move over flawlessly. if they are WMA though, then you will need to get WMP for mac which is terrible. i suggest you convert them to MP3 or another format. I have had my iBook for almost 9 months now and i still love it. i hate using my PC at home and i hate using PC's at work.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
I recently did this, or at least, I tried to. After a month I ended up having to sell the iBook and go back to my PC. The reason I had to do this is because I am a computer engineering student, and computer usage is very prominent in my coursework, and unfortunately, it is all pc-based. I reached the conclusion that I do prefer working in OS X as opposed to windows, but for me, it just wanst feasable. So, basically, if you are using a computer completely on your own terms, than you should definately check out the Mac. However, if you are in a position where you are required to use certain software for certain things, it may just be more trouble than its worth.

Reaction score
If you aren't sure about the switch, get a refurb iBook, if you don't like it you can sell it and not loose much money.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Or what I have suggested to many is to get one off of e-bay and sell it back if you don't like it. This is what I did, and I actually ended up making $100 to play with an iBook for a month!

M

mangoSharingan

The only thing I will miss when I completely switch over from PC to Mac soon is Counter-Strike:Source, lol.

J

jn4jenny

rogueace said:
are there any issues when you bring your files to the mac? cause i will need to transfer jpegs, differnet types of text files, most of them are Microsoft WOrd, and some are Word. And did you miss anything from windows? Last thing, can you play online games such as Halo and Battlefield 1942 against friends at LAN parties if the all have PCs?

If the only games you play happen to be available for Mac, this shouldn't give you too many headaches. However, serious gamers need to really think hard before switching to Mac. Macs just aren't designed for gaming, they don't always interface flawlessly with PC's over LAN, and if you really want to play games on a Mac then a Powerbook has far more graphics power than an iBook.

When I switched from PC to Mac, the files transferred flawlessly, except that the MS Office documents came through Read-Only since they were in PC format. All I had to do if I wanted to edit any of these documents was re-save them on the Mac, which was pretty minor for me.

OP
R
Reaction score
Im a casual gamer when it comes to comtuters, I don't care about graphics too much. Im a handheld gamer like NDS and PSP. So you could bring it to a friends house and play over an ethernet cable? Could you play through ad-hoc? - cause my freind also has a Mac and some games. And has anyone done this?

B

barryjr

Mac has the microsoft office suite app that you can purchase which includes Word, so that is not a problem (you can also open Word Documents in TextEdit or AppleWorks). JPEGS will open without an issue what so ever. Online gaming with both games mentioned above will work online playing your online PC buddies. I work on both PC and MAC and I do have to say the Tiger rips Windows XP Pro a new A-hole. It is way more efficient and dependable of an OS IMHO. The only reason I do work with PC's is because of 3d apps such as Maya, other than that I would not own one. The only things I miss from Windows XP is Virus Scanners, Spam blockers ect. ...ok not really LOL! - Barry

rogueace said:

B

Berman

advantages: spotlight, expose, no spyware, no viruses, no crashes, prettier os.
disadvantages: less available software

worth it? oh **** yes. i can't stand to use windows anymore.

D

DigitalN.

I love my iBook just because of dashboard. I can't count the number of times I've been on my PC and keep hitting F11 trying to record something or to check what is happening in the news

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I love my iBook just because of dashboard. I can't count the number of times I've been on my PC and keep hitting F11 trying to record something or to check what is happening in the news

YES! I know what you mean! The same goes for spotlight and espose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.