Applications folder

Reaction score
Hello all!

First off, happy new year. Second, my question isnt exactly simple so let me know if your having trouble understanding it.

Okay, so on my applications folder on my Dock, if I open it up most of the applications there are an image representing the application. However, quite a few have folders that have require me having to go into to start the program. I know its not a massive problem but its a bit of an eye sore. Is there a way to change it to an image and create it so it launches the application?

Also, I have a few folders in there that are navigating to software that I will never use, but think they are needed for others to run correctly, is there a way to stop them from showing in the folder?

Thanks guys
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
#1 No, while you could give the folders the applications icon you can't make a folder launch an application.
One thing you can do, it make a folder someplace, like in the Documents folder, drag that folder to the dock, and then in it put aliases of all the applications you want to appear in the dock. Then it will show exactly what you want to see in it.

#2 Sorta, you can completely hide them with Cloak
If you use the "Invisible Finder Att…" option the folder will still have the same name and if some other application needs it, it should be able to find it as the path to it is still the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I think what you mean by this is you don't want folders within your Applications Folder correct?

Go into finder and search for the folder that shows in your applications. Extract the folder onto your desktop, and drag the application(s) out.

You can now just put the apps themselves into your Applications folder by going to Macintosh HD > Applications and dragging them in.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All applications should be stored in the Applications Folder found at Go > Applications in the Menu Bar, if you are using a late operating system. To get any applications into the Dock, open the Applications Folder, select what you wish and simply drag the icon to the Dock.

Now what you have installed in the Dock is simply an 'alias' of the application. Clicking it will open the application without going into the Application Folder. Using Quit when finished will close the program and leave the alias icon still in the Dock.

if you wish to remove anything from the Dock, make sure it is closed and drag it off and it will vanish in a puff of smoke. of course the original will still be in the Application Folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
Phwoar! Thanks very much for all that guys. Much appreciated.

Im still a newbie at OS X, having only had mine for about 4 months. Im really wanting to learn more. Is there a website (or any other form of media for that matter) that you guys can recommend I visit to keep me in 'the loop'? I regularly come here and read posts, that helps. I also have a couple of editions of Mac Life. Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I don't keep that many apps in the dock.

I usually just type the app name (or part of it) into Spotlight - the magnifying class in the right of the menu bar.

Works well as a quick application launcher, especially for apps you only ever use occasionally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think what you mean by this is you don't want folders within your Applications Folder correct?

Go into finder and search for the folder that shows in your applications. Extract the folder onto your desktop, and drag the application(s) out.

You can now just put the apps themselves into your Applications folder by going to Macintosh HD > Applications and dragging them in.

Hope this helps. :)

But be aware that if you attempt to update those apps, the installer might look for that folder you moved them out of, and, not finding it, might fail or just install the newer version where it pleases (in that folder, which it will create) leaving you with a copy of the app, though newer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.