Installing windows through Boot Camp - Help

Reaction score
Firstly hello to everyone.

Im brand new to Mac this week, My girl friend has gotten herself one of those iMac thingys for her university work.

So I didn't buy this for gaming and haven't really ever been into tech before so I don't mind you speaking to me like you would your gran. However I do enjoy playing a few games.

Anyway I downloaded Steam (for games) and got myself Shogun2 Total war, only to find that you can't play it on a Mac (as I said I'm clueless). So upon further reading I have seen that most games are not supported by Mac :(

I have read here on one of your stickies and on various places on the web about installing Windows through Boot Camp. I have already have Boot Camp pre loaded onto my Mac. I can't however as is advised in the sticky, read the instructions, it only gives an option to print (but i haven't got a printer).

So I guess what i want to know is, and what i can't seem to find answers to is; Is it difficult to install windows? Once installed is it easy to use both OS, and is it easy to uninstall should i want to? is it risky to install windows? Will it slow down or cause any performance problems? Will it open me up to risk from viruses, and will i have to buy anti virus software ect?

Finally is Windows my only option if i want to play games?

I already have and will continue to do plenty of reading online about this subject

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did you Google the questions concerning guidelines?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

It is simple to install and run if you follow the guidelines and download drivers. It is not risky to install Windows subject to using Microsoft Security Essentials AV software which is free, or some other reliable version. It is freeware available by download from Microsoft.

You will need a version of Windows, suggest Windows 7, that is not currently activated and installed on another machine. Bootcamp is the best option for gamers subject to what the iMac can do as graphics are limited.

Reaction score
Please read the stickies at the top of this forum. While a bit lengthy, they will answer your questions. That's what they're for ... after you review them, come on back with any follow up questions.

For gaming, you will want to install Windows using Boot Camp, rather than in a virtual machine. You'll need to buy a retail or System Builder OEM version of Windows as part of the process.

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies already guys!!

Looks like I've got plenty to learn :)

Another quick question, would windows 7 home premium be suitable for my needs?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your lady friend has a brand new iMac, then the only version of Windows she can install is Windows 7. So yes, Windows 7 will work great. :)

Reaction score
I dual boot my iMac with Windows 7 Home Premium for the sole purpose of playing Call Of Duty Black Ops, MW3 and Battlefield 3.

All work well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.