My first Mac, iBook G4 (reinstalling OSX)

Reaction score
About a year ago a friend at work gave me a iBook G4 with a corrupt 80gb HD, no discs or anything besides the power adapter. I couldn't find a reinstall disc so I loaded it up with Ubuntu Linux 10.10, and used it like that up until today, it was Ok except for the lack of flash support and no "Wine".

Well I finally found a 10.4 OS disc, and just got it installed, the first screen wanted me to put batteries in in the wireless mouse. I didn't have one so I plugged in my Dell USB mouse and it continued.

The install went smooth enough, but now the touch pad mouse and button wont work, keyboard works fine tho...

Safari crashes (is that the right term?) as soon as I google anything, but I'm downloading some java and OS X updates now, hopefully that will fix that problem.

But, what can I do about the mouse problem? Before today I had never used a Mac, besides my iBook Linux Franken-puter, so any advice (even if it's sticking to Linux), tips etc would be appreciated!

Thanks, Otis.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The install went smooth enough, but now the touch pad mouse and button wont work, keyboard works fine tho...

Did the trackpad & button on the laptop work when you had Ubuntu Linux installed on it?

If no...the trackpad & button may be "dead". I had this happen on an older iBook G4...and the only way to fix it is by replacing the "topcase". This is the part with the trackpad, button, keyboard, and power button (basically everything you can see on the upper part of the bottom half of the laptop when the display is opened).

Keep an eye on e-Bay for a used part to save a bunch of bucks!

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Of course you can still use an external mouse if this project is not for you.:)

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes it worked fine under Ubuntu, no problems, used F12 for the "right click".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you get the 10.4 Tiger DVD? Is it a Gray DVD or Black?

OP
O
Reaction score
It is on a burned DVD so I'm not sure what the original was.

I managed to download an older version of Firefox (3.6) and it seems to be doing well, no crashing so far. Safari still crashes before a google search results page page fully loads.

OP
O
Reaction score
Also, the update that's downloading says it's for 10.4.11, if that's any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is on a burned DVD so I'm not sure what the original was.

You shouldn't be using "burned" install disks. Not only because it may be causing the issue you're experiencing...but it's also a violation of Apple's EULA policy. You should be using genuine OS install disks. e-Bay is probably your best way to get one (black disks NOT gray/silver).

Good to hear that the trackpad & button worked when running Ubuntu Linux...just get yourself a genuine OS install disk!

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
I didn't think Apple had the same hangups over their OS that MS has, a guy Im friends with on FB sent me the copy...
Anyway, The update fixed the mouse problem, now it seems the keyboard is scrambled..
I'm not sure if learning a whole new OS is worth the effort. I kept getting outbid on eBay for the OS disks, and it's a good thing if I need the black ones, because I was bidding on the gray ones.

Edit: reboot fixed the keyboard problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think Apple had the same hangups over their OS that MS has...

Apple doesn't EXACTLY have the same "controls" over their OS install disks as MS does...since Apple OS install disks don't have an Install Key/serial number.

It's basically the honor system...and folks are expected to follow the "One OS disk...one computer install rule." And uninstall the OS from the first computer...before installing on a 2nd unit. Unless it's a "Family Install" disk which allows 5 simultaneous installs...but only the same family.

I should also mention that Mac-Forums takes this sort of thing VERY seriously...and to be perfectly legal...you should get some OS 10.4 install disc/discs to be in proper compliance with Apple's EULA.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
I do plan on getting the originals, I like having all the correct discs for my PCs PDAs etc..

You say I need the black ones? (a DVD?) Because I've been out bid on a few sets of gray CDs. Like I said I'm brand new to Macs' software "style" and ways of doing stuff.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You say I need the black ones? (a DVD?)

OS 10.4 came on multiple CD's or a single DVD...this is why I said "disc(s)".

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.