Wont Read CDs after SSD Upgrade

Reaction score
I have a late 09 15" Macbook Pro. Today I installed an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD and 8gb of Crucial ram, I also disabled SMS and made it so the drives wouldnt go to sleep. Everything works REALLY fast and great except for some reason now when I put a CD in, the computer thinks its blank. Dvds work fine.

I booted off of my old drive just to see if its a SSD issue. It does the exact same thing booting form the original hard drive. Also I took the optical drive out and gave it a visual, double checked the connections too. I also tried to reenable SMS and that didnt make any difference. It all seems OK, but it still doesnt like CDs.

Seems odd that my drive would stop working at the exact same time that I change to an SSD.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When was the last time you popped a CD into the drive prior to the upgrade?

OP
B
Reaction score
It was probably a week ago or so. The main reason I upgraded to a SSD was because my HDD went bad and I kept having to reformat it. So I have been using CDs to reinstall all my software.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would imagine it's just coincidental. The optical drive sits on a different channel on the SATA bus, so it's not like one would step on another. It's not uncommon for optical drives to stop working with one disc type, but work fine with another. There are multiple lasers used for different media types.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ahh I see. Well I guess I have a few options.

1. Buy a new internal optical dive
2. But an external optical drive - $29 at frys
3. Put my SSD in an enclosure and boot my Imac from it, then install what I need
4. Figure out how to make VMware see my Imac's optical drive and use it to install from the windows disc.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK this is wierd!

With my new external drive installing a disc, the internal drive works. But it only works once the external is busy. Odd huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.