I'd there a website for those of us stuck on 10.5.8 Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
I am sure there are lots of us still running G4s and G5s so is there a site which lists software compatible with our systems? Something like nice charts listing last version that still runs on a PPC.

Does this exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Better off asking what sort of software you are looking for and we can start the list right here

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
I don't really know ha ha, brand new to Mac and just want to play around. I was looking for a DVD burning program and it looks like Toast is the program. From looking at their website it looks like Toast 10 is compatible with a G4 running Leopard as 11 needs and Intel CPU.

I would also like to know all the games that work good on my Radeon 9000 Pro. I really like Command & Conquer and see Generals is on available, will this work on my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could also try the open source Burn, sill a universal app (POwerPC and Intel)

Burn - Home

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Wow Burn looks cool and it is free! Thanks!

C

chas_m

I am sure there are lots of us still running G4s and G5s so is there a site which lists software compatible with our systems? Something like nice charts listing last version that still runs on a PPC.

Does this exist?

It depends on your definition of "lots."

There are a lot of people in your situation on forums like this one, because official and developer supported has ended for such machines. But as a percentage of the total Mac userbase, no, PPC systems are not a significant percentage anymore.

The normal "life cycle" of a Mac is around five years. The very last PPC Macs were produced five years ago. So anyone using a PPC is either someone like you, picking up someone's hand-me-down, or someone who's needs don't mandate moving to a newer machine and/or the thing just won't quit! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I agree with the comment about just asking when you need something specific.
While many don't use PPC now, we do have good memories for the most part, even the most senior members :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Does this exist?

I've always handled it the other way around. If there's an application that I'm interested in, I look up the system requirements, and if a Mac computer I'm suing meets the spec's...then I know that I can run it.

Maybe this will help,

List of Applications Not Compatible with Leopard - Mac Guides
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Software Incompatibilities

- Nick

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Ok I guess the question I should be asking since I am brand new to the Mac world is ... "What software should I get to really enjoy my time with the Mac?"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I guess the question I should be asking since I am brand new to the Mac world is ... "What software should I get to really enjoy my time with the Mac?"

Still too broad of a question. We have no idea what sort of computing projects you have...or what you are into. Computers are used for many things:

- shopping
- work/professional related projects
- personal projects
- entertainment (music, games, photos, videos, etc.)
- socializing (internet forums, social webpages, internet chat & video)
- etc.

I'll throw a question back at you. If you were talking about a Windows computer (negating your "newness" to Macintosh computers)...What software would you need to make your experience with a Windows computer more enjoyable?

Then try to find something equally as good that runs on a Macintosh.:)

- Nick

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Ok, I like some gaming (RPGs and RTS games). I like to edit photos and video. Watch movies. Possibly have my music collection on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I like some gaming (RPGs and RTS games). I like to edit photos and video. Watch movies. Possibly have my music collection on it.

With OS 10.5.8 you don't really need any "special" software for listening to music or watching videos. Editing photos...an older version of iLife would help with that...or an older version of Photoshop.

As far as games...are there any particular titles you're interested in? If so...look up the system requirements. If your computer & OS meet the requirements you're "good to go"!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I agree with the others, still a little broad... I would look for comparitive progs or even just broadly search either with google or these forums and go from there.

As for RTS Games.. Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations (I haven't tried the Win versions on a mac by way of parallels) but the mac version work well. I have been looking at some other older RTS games (10.6.8 as I don't want to switch to Lion and I don't think I can with my mini) that I would need to use with Parallels lately too.

I haven't tried a lot of games (other than the ones I had on my Win machine) but there are a few freeware mac games that you can try (ie Marathon). Take a look here http://www.thriftmac.com/our-top-10-mac-freeware-games or do a google search.

C

chas_m

By the way, I re-read the title of this thread and my first thought was "yeah, there is ... store.apple.com!" :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.