Screwy chess game from Apple

Reaction score
This references the chess game which comes with a MacBook. Mine has never worked reliably. At a certain point, it will reject a perfectly legal move, and pass the move to the other side. It will do this whether in Human/Computer mode or Human/Human mode. Then it treats the board it has elected to display as if it were legitimate. Telling it to take back a move doesn't fix the problem. It simply ignores the move it rejected, as though it never happened, but continues to insist that the other color has the move. This is NOT a case of a move being illegal because it's prohibited by the rules, like failing to move out of check, moving into check, or trying to move a black bishop onto a white square. It's version 2.4.2. Naturally, this makes the application worse than useless. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Buy a different chess game? Not sure there are too many options outside of that... You can always submit a bug report to Apple but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a game that I was happy with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yep, you found out what I (a novice chess player) found out. The Mac Chess App cheats… ;P

But yeah, somewhere in it's Artificial Intelligence there's a rather nasty bug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.