New to Mac- Can't transfer music!

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here.

Spent a while with the search function in an effort to avoid having to ask this question but I couldn't find anything relevant in the 10 or 15 minutes I decided to devote to looking.

Switched over from pc about a week ago. Loving everything so far but now it has come time to start my music production again. I need to transfer my music (and ultimately movies, pics, etc) over from my external HD. I stored EVERYTHING externally on my PC because I liked to be able to skip around from machine to machine.
I know that Win uses NTFS format, and sure enough when I cmd+i 'd on the drive it confirmed that. I also know that OSX should be able to at least read that NTFS drive. So I should be able to get my stuff off of there, reformat the drive, then put it back on.

When I went to copy my music folder, I went in and selected all my artist folders and cmd+c. Then I went to my internal "My Music" folder and cmd+v.

Everything starts off alright but after about 50-60 gigs I get an "unexpected error 8062" and the transfer stops. I have tried selecting everything again and then pasting it back into the my music folder, selecting to skip the files that are already there. It just crashed again. So I delete everything from my music and started the transfer again- same result.

So now I am trying to archive my whole music folder, creating archive.zip on my internal hd. I expect this to fail though, as it failed with the previous transfers.

Can anyone think of a reason why I can't retrieve my music from an NTFS drive. Im not trying to write to it at all. Also, something the copy box just "poof", disappears without showing the error.

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up but I'm new to mac, and to this forum and really just need a bro right now who can help me out.

tl/dr: Can't get my music to transfer from NTFS external to my mac's internal. Error 8062. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much space do you have that's free on your Mac's internal hard drive? Error 8062 can occur when there is not enough space to properly copy the files to their respective folder. Once available space draws down to around 10 or 15% that error can occur. If available space is not the problem, there may corrupt files that are stopping the copy.

Why not leave all your music on the external hard drive? Buy a third party driver that can enable your Mac to read write to the drive. We recommend Paragon NTFS which is only $19.95 and works great.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a 750 gig hd. Being a brand new comp, I haven't put a thing on it with the exception of a game. So that cannot be the issue I wouldn't think.

Is there any way that I can know what file(s) are corrupt, if that is indeed the problem?

As for your final suggestion, I am a fairly serious DJ and the whole point of shelling out extra denero for the big hd was that I wouldn't have to use an external to play my serato from. I suppose I could do as you say, but I would be hugely let down by that. Otherwise I wouldn't really have upgraded to this machine.

Having said that, do you think that getting paragon ntfs might potentially help my computer be able to transfer these files?

UPDATE: the archive of which I spoke earlier has completed building. So I moved it into my music and clicked it. It is currently unpacking- I just really hope it unpacks to the same directory... Number of hours still left to go.

On a side note, and I really don't want to come off as a jerk or idiot here, but I'm feeling really let down by this issue. I have no allegiances to PC, but for something that was so simple its turning out to be a huge problem. It's because of the formatting no doubt, so I wont fault mac, but darn it would be nice if they could make it just a little bit easier to switch over to a mac. Compatibility-wise I am hugely disappointed. But these are things that, once I work around, will stop being problematic I assume so Im not even mad at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's see what happens when the archive completely unpacks itself. I suspect that there could be one or more music files that are possibly corrupt. The strange part about corruption is that sometimes it won't show up until you start moving things around.

You don't have to purchase the Paragon software unless you plan on writing to a drive formatted to NTFS. Anyway, it won't help if there's corruption. Let us know how things turn out.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay bros, update:

I unpacked that archive and it seems to have worked. Still in the process of importing it all into Itunes (desperate to update my iphone). But it appears to have gone over well.

I tell you what though, if I have to do that for every file on my external I will pitch a little bit of a fit honestly. It took just over 7 hours total for 105 gigs of music. I have 2 terabytes full...

But I got paragon and it is now allowing me to write to my NTFS drive, so major props to chscag. Looking for the rep button..... there it is.

Hopefully it will mean that I don't even have to reformat that external now. I would now consider this a solved thread.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope its not too annoying answering this question as I'm sure its been brought up before.

Much love.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it worked out for you. Good luck with your DJing and have fun with your new MacBook Pro. Don't be a stranger here. :)

Reaction score
Same problem

Hey guys I've had a mac for a little under 24 hours now so I'm completely new to this world.

On my old windows laptop the hard drive was completely divided into two. On one half vista and on the other my iTunes. I'm currently trying to transfer my iTunes onto my mac and the mac keeps sayings it's unable to copy to the Macintosh hard drive.

Is this due to the different formats between NTFS and and will it work if I transfer all the items firstly to a FAT32 hard drive? Other than the internal in my mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.