Migration headache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, Ipad 4, Iphone 5, Imac 21.5 2012, ipod 4thG
So I go my new MBP yesterday. I have been trying to migrate my files from my pc to the mac and it is taking 24 hours and still no success. First it said 4 hours, and hour into it it my pc said it could not find my mac connection, I am using an ethernet cable. I started again, said 5 hours, I stayed up til one a.m, 30 minutes before it was to finish my pc said it could not find my mac connection. I started again this morning, it has been running all day, every hour I have to log in again. Now it says it will take 253 hours ( I have to transfer 300GB of files ), it jumps from 288 hours to 206 hours and various hours inbetween.
I am so frustrated with this process. what the heck is going on here? Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Are you using Migration Assistant or doing it manually? Have you tried breaking the transfer into smaller chunks?

It sounds like you're running a direct connection between the two - which should offer Gigabit transfer if your PC's network card supports it (if you're not going direct, do so, as your networking equipment may not support Gb Ethernet. No cross-over cable required).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Make sure of your settings on both computers..

Turn energy saver off on both machines..
Turn automatic updates off on both also
Turn off virus software (even unload them if possible)
Turn off any programs on both programs that may automatically check for updates..

Sounds to me like one of these processes are interrupting (most likely the virus software)

Hopefully this helps.. Good luck..
I would also would do what Checco suggested and do smaller chunks, you might see what is interrupting also..

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, finally did it but now i cannot find anything that was imported supposedly. My itunes nothing, no docs etc...this is getting to be too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as I found out the hard way, when you install an OS and you've already named an account, it will prompt you to rename one of them or create a second account with the name you are installing from (mac to mac). I'm not sure what it would do migrating from PC. Sorry I did a direct transfer as files (on the PC *.mp3 etc to a file MYPCMusic) and then let itunes import them.

Do a finder or spotlight search for a name of a file you transferred. I found finder lacking in it's search so I downloaded (free program -there are a few out there) Easyfind.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally found where my PC stuff is but I cannot access it as it is password protect and I didn't put a password on it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure why it would put a password on them, might be usual. If they are in a folder, right click on the folder and select get info. Then click the little lock at the bottom right of the info window that comes up and put your password in. There you can change the sharing and priveledges that you want. I think that's the best way or you can change each file individually. Alternatively you can put them in a public access (sharing) folder.

C

chas_m

What the OP likely means is that he can't access it because he's logged in as one user, and the migration assistant put his stuff in another account (as per Aqua's description). It would sure be helpful if the OP would include important details like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds right Chas_m, copy your PC stuff to the account you want to use and that should take care of that. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, got it all working now, took a few days. Am I the OP?
I would go to the account where my pc stuff was in but it was password locked, I did not create a password for it. Apple guy tried to help, walked me through various hardware resets but still didn't work. He had me delete my pc account and start from scratch again and call when it was completed migration. I called back, Apple guy went to get supervisor but then I began to play around with it and made up a password like we had done previously but this time it worked.
Note to self, when computer asks to migrated info upon set up, do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.