Disabled Trackpad!!

Reaction score
OK, so I found out that someone... Clicked off the check marks to use the "Tap to Click" all the way down to the "Secondary Click (Right Corner)", and now my trackpad will not click anything. What should I do, and how do I fix this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Assuming you don't have a mouse to hook up, you can navigate using just the keyboard.

Use Control+F2 (on a Mac with the brightness adjustment on F2, use Fn+Control+F2) to select the Apple menu. Tap the spacebar to open the menu. Use the arrow keys to highlight System Preferences. Tap the spacebar to open System Preferences. Then, tap the tab key until Trackpad is highlighted. Tap Space to open the Trackpad preferences. Use the tab to cycle through available options and use space to click.

That should do the trick.

OP
S
Reaction score
So the shortcut works, however, the Tab key will not work since it is stuck in the "Search Bar" and will not tab down from that... Any tips, please and thank you?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So the shortcut works, however, the Tab key will not work since it is stuck in the "Search Bar" and will not tab down from that... Any tips, please and thank you?

I'm not sure about which search bar you're referring to. If I manually put the cursor into the search field in the System Preferences window, I can tab out of it.

If I control+F2 to open the menu bar, I can do nothing to get to the spotlight search field (aside from doing Command+Space). It will only toggle through the different menus either with the tab key or the cursor keys.

Have you tried hitting the Esc key?

Which Mac model are you using?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.